Saturday, August 31, 2024

Adding CD Storage To My Bookcase

 

Before I organized it


Even though I tried to keep my bookcase neat and orderly, it was hard to find things or get to them. The shelves that had the CDs on them had items behind the CDs. Not easy to use and most of the time I forgot I had those things because I never saw them. Especially the books. It looked cluttered to me and I could not stand it. This bookcase is where I keep all my office supplies too. I need to get them quickly. Not take a couple of hours searching behind the CDs. There were some behind them on the shelf and some on the other bookcase next to it. Not all in one place. I would be searching for one particular one and could not find it. 


The adjustable shelf parts


I found an adjustable shelf on Amazon that I thought would work for this bookcase. I wanted the CDs where I could see what I had because I play music just about all day. From my own collection of CDs. I am not very mechanical minded but I was able to follow the directions and put this little shelf together. It fit perfectly into the bookcase shelf. So it would hold two rows of CDs easily. It is made of steel and is sturdy enough for a whole shelf full of music CD's, which are not light. I think this shelf was around forty dollars or so. It is well made and if I find I want another one I would buy the exact same one.


Ready to start adding the CDs to it

Once I got it set in place it was easy to just add my CDs to it. I put them in alphabetical order so they are easy to locate. Now they would all be in one place. Before there were some on the smaller bookcase next to this one too. The one thing I have to be careful about is not letting one slide back too far on the shelf or I cannot get it out easily. I am still thinking about raising the shelf to the next adjustment. It looks like there is enough room at the top to do this. The bottom shelf is really too tight a fit for me. 


First shelf done!

I needed these to be on the top shelves so I could see them better. I had thought about replacing this old bookcase but for sentimental reasons I could not get rid of it. My Daddy built it for his own books many years ago out of scrap lumber. He painted it with the redwood (color) house paint he used on his house. Also if something is usable, why replace it? Spending money on something I could live without? What happens to it after I am gone? Someone else gets it. I could have used that money for more rib-eye steaks! LOL 


3rd Shelf done!


The third shelf holds most of my office supplies behind the CDs. As you can see in the photo, the bookcase next to it is much smaller. Though I don't have many books, that is where I keep the ones I have. Most of my books are on my Kindle. I like to have things where I can just go to the bookcase and pick it up without a lot of trouble of not finding it. I forget I have certain CDs or books when I don't see them very often. So having them like this with easy access is making me use them. My computer supplies are on the next shelf alongside various types of paper and a few books. The bottom shelf is where I keep my shoes so I can take them off when I come in and put them away immediately. Being organized is essential if you live in a studio apartment. Or probably anywhere! 


All done!







Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole


No comments: