Sunday, June 26, 2005

Self Sufficiency On Our Homestead

Yesterday, I discussed my feelings on money with you. I don't want you to think I am against making money. I am not. Afterall, I have a website that is #1 on Google and Yahoo and most other important search engines. The difference is that I do live pretty simply compared to most to other people. I don't need all those extras.


I generate my own electricity, I heat and cook with wood, I grow most of my own vegetables and within the next year hopefully - my own fruits too, I bake my own baked goods, such as bread, cakes, cookies, crackers, etc., I wash my clothes by hand and hang to dry, I hope to be raising my own chickens for eggs soon and a cow for milk and dairy products. Hopefully, in the next couple of years, I will have a hybrid vehicle and a electric lawn mower sooner. Plus, I make a living on my computer without having to drive anywhere everyday.

So if you do all that, wouldn't you think your families would just mind their own business and not be concerned that you own three of the most beautiful horses you've ever seen? No! I guess some people have just got to interfere with whatever someone else is doing. Some members of our family just harp and harp on us all the time about getting rid of our girls. They think it's too much work, too much money, if they happen to come to our house (rarely) there is horseflys around or the manure stinks. All I say is that they can just stay home and not come here. This homestead is run completely for the comfort of our three horses, four cats and one dog!

One of the things I have come to realize is that whatever you do, it never pleases your families. I make sure to go out of my way to not be that way toward my son. He dresses and lives a way that I would never have chosen for him. But it's what he chose. And I will never say a thing against it or to him. He is an adult and when I am lucky enough to see him I don't want to spend that time fighting or arguing with him. It's a time to be treasured.


It's a pretty hot day here in New York so I think I might want to get outside a bit and cool off.
I"ll talk to you tomorrow.


Copyright © 2005  Kathleen G. Lupole


No comments: