Sunday, July 10, 2005

Blueberries!!


Today, I discovered the blueberries are ripe! They can use a couple more days to ripen more. But they tasted so good today. This is the first year we've had so many. Our house was surrounded by the forest. And I really mean surrounded! So there were lots of berries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, elderberries, hawthorne berries and of course, the blueberries. Blueberries are by far, my favorite. My grandmother had about 100 acres of land and half of it was blueberries. We spent alot of time out there picking those berries.

Our berries though, when we first moved here were hidden by the woods, and just didn't get any sunshine. As my husband has cleared our land for our horses and our yard and gardens, the blueberries and strawberries have been showing up more and more. Of course, they are wild, so they are the small ones. But they are still good, and there is just something, about knowing, that food is growing, that I didn't have to plant.

Now the blackberries were never shy about showing their face! I love to eat them as I pick them. But I have a love hate relationship with the blackberries. You see, I just have this feeling that the blackberry plants are alive - more than just a plant growing in the ground. Have you ever tried to grab a handful, and reach over some plants to get it? Those other blackberry plants will stick you with those thorns so fast and so hard, you will start believing like I do. I have to fix fences and trim around them. So the bushes get me a lot. I admit it, I get so mad at them that I cut them right down, and burn them. But on the way to take them out, they always get you one more time!

Copyright © 2005  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: