Thursday, July 14, 2005

Hard Times Even On A Homestead

My horses


It's hard for me to write this for you this morning. Things are not good here at Peaceful Forest. I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to keep up with writing this. Stress leads to depression and once you get to the point I feel that I am at it is down hill from there. I have given all I could and I have no more left in me.

So I wonder what happens to a person's pets and other animals when they die? Are they sent to live in the city with somebody who thinks they want them because they loved you? Or your animals were so unique that they want them for that reason? They make a dog who has never been on a leash or chained or had to watch out for crazy traffic live in the city? A dog who lived in a house in the middle of the forest most of her life? She was born in a house that used to be part of a farm and wasn't even on a road. Or does she end up in a shelter waiting for someone to adopt her? Living in a cage with a bunch of other dogs? My dog would just die.


I guess three of my cats could be just left to go wild. They know the woods and could probably survive. I don't know how they would make it through a winter out here though. During the winter, they are used to a warm, cozy house, heated by a big wood stove. My other cat being 16 and suffering from Hydrothyroidism would probably be put to sleep. She is a Siamese cat and is very beautiful and pretty active. Enough so that she goes outside daily but doesn't go too far.

Then it finally comes down to the final three animals we have. Horses. Everybody loves horses. My horses are very beautiful and at first look, everybody would want them. My stepson rides my one of my horses. At first he would probably want her and knowing him, the other two also. He has a very kind heart and especially for those three. As all horse people know horses are not easy. Or cheap. These three are very spirited girls. He would not have any place to keep them. Also he would never be able to afford them. He can barely take care of his own dog. How would he manage with three horses?

I feel very strongly about the fact that I don't want them separated - ever. Especially the two big horses. They are so close to each other. I just would not want to do that to them. They have some emotional baggage from where they came from. They are all three related to each other. I promised them that they would never be separated, and I have to keep that promise. They trust me.

So my guess would be, that if you knew you were not going to live the best thing would be to just go out and shoot all your animals. Cats and all. Then you could bury them too.


Copyright © 2005 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2005 Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2024


No comments: