Friday, December 17, 2010

Think Happy Thoughts, Think Happy Thoughts

katlupe's evergreen tree


I am one of those people who hopefully, look forward to the new coming year. Every year I have high hopes of life being better than ever. Can it be so? When you think about it, each year over means I am one year older. My life as I know it, has increased the odds of losing significant people in my life. Or my pets, who I love dearly. I hate to look on the bad side of things, but it has gotten to the point where instead of looking forward to better times or a great life, I worry about who I will lose in the coming year. Be it a member of my family, a friend, a pet or a celebrity I admire, or now an online friend.

So instead of focusing on such downers in this holiday season, I am focusing on only the good thoughts and hope that my outlook will improve and lighten up. Things I am looking forward to this coming year are:


  • To actually make money on my blogs so I can focus on my writing instead of scrounging for sales on Bonanza and my websites.
  • To finish updating my eBooks and market them to a bigger audience. If so, I can write more eBooks.
  • To really work on my novel and get it finished.
  • To make a dent in our house remodeling which is being held up by money mainly. This includes bringing the water into the house so we have running water, insulation all done, wiring all inside and up to code, floors, walls, windows, kitchen finished, downstairs bedroom and bathroom all according to our plans.
  • To add the lean-to on the back of our barn, so we can build box stalls inside and I can get Tawny inside when the weather is bad. The other two girls won't let her in the barn even to get water lately. My husband has been carrying buckets of water out to her so she can drink.
  • I would like to buy a second vehicle without a payment instead of having to drive the truck everywhere.
  • Spend more time with my horses.
  • Work doubly hard on our preparedness goals! 
  • Concentrate on our budget so that every single penny is spent diligently.
  • Develop a homesteading course for people who would be interested in spending a week-end camping here and learning the modern homesteading lifestyle for their life.
These are not New Year Resolutions, they are my goals and things I really need to work on. I am trying to make our life easier. And as crass as it sounds, money has to be one of those things. I wish I could say I don't need it and if it comes so be it. But things are very tough right now and the cost of living keeps getting higher and higher even though our wonderful Social Security system keeps telling us there has not been an increase in the cost of living since 2008! Who are they kidding? What planet are they living on? Whoever is in charge there and made that decision is truly on drugs! Pretty soon all the people on Social Security such as my 91 year old father, will have to apply for welfare and food stamps to live. So I have to take into account that my blogs need to bring in enough to keep them going.

I didn't mean to go off on that subject. It is just an irritation to me. I am planning to make a little bit of changes around here and am looking forward to it and that is what my list is all about. What about you? Are there things you need to focus on this year? Things you want to change in your life? Not just money, it could be other things too. Tell me about them in the comments. 

Come back again and please have a safe, happy homesteading day!



Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole


6 comments:

Mary Bennett said...

Hi Kat!!
It's funny, a lot of your goals are the same as mine. I really need to figure a way to bring in money with my blogs, and to finish some writing. There never seems to be enough time! I was going to ask you about the mechanics of writing an E-book.
As for the cost of living not going up, that's a laugh, and not a good one.

The Zany Housewife said...

Those sounds like great goals. In fact, I would love to camp out at your place for a weekend...I think a lot of people could benefit from it!

My goals: start my patio garden (and hope something takes), trial/error food preservation, enroll the munchkin in a gymnastic/tumbling class (she's super active and needs socialization at this point), work on my marriage and learn more ways of bringing in funds for my little family (other than working part time and taking care of the munchkin). My husband works for the state and even though the furlough days have ended, he was given a permanent paycut. Money is affecting us in more ways than one. I just want to help any way I can. Oh! And get a new car. That would be awesome.

Wowsa, I've rambled on here.

Paula said...

Wish you well with your plans. I have plenty as well. Actually just trying to get them all sorted

katlupe said...

Mary, I have had several people ask for information on how to write a eBook. I may have to write a post on that. It is not hard if you have a writing program in your computer. I use open office which is open source software (FREE).

Whatever knowledge you have, is valued by someone else. You can even write a story or fiction that way.

katlupe said...

Kim, I would love for you to camp out at my place for a week-end too!

There are some ideas I have for you and your patio garden. I will research and do a post about it as that is helpful to people with a handicap too. I read about a woman who did all her gardening that way from a wheelchair.

katlupe said...

Thank you Paula! The same to your plans. Of course your plans are indeed a big change for you and your life. I wish the best for you and Skip!!