Monday, December 06, 2010

Running Your Own Business From Home


I have written on here before about my business of selling used books online at Bonanza. In my post, Selling On Bonanzle, I told you all about it. The last few weeks I have been busy accumulating more books to sell. I love books and more times than not, I look at the book as I am listing it and end up reading it. The other night I read a book all the way through because I could not stand to list it and have someone buy before I finished it. I pick up these books at used book stores, thrift shops, garage sales, freecycle,craigslist, anywhere I can find them.



You may not think it is worth the effort. But every little penny counts in this day and age. Bonanza was originally called Bonanzle and they changed their name recently. It takes some getting used to. After having basically sold mostly on eBay in the past years, this site is a welcome change. For one thing, the other sellers are helpful and are not rude to you if you ask a question. The discussion boards on eBay can get VERY nasty at times! Anyway, I am not writing this to compare the two sites or to convince you to sell on either one. I want to share my ideas to make a living from home.



I have listed many of my own books, deciding it is time to rid myself of too many books among other items. Many times I have held onto something out of sentimental value. They are just things. So onto my quest of living the good..........but, simple life! I am thinking about taking the guitar strings out of the Bonanza booth and opening a booth just for them. It would be easier. The nice thing about Bonanza is that you can do that. Doesn't cost you any more money!

Of course, this is mainly a side line for me. Selling guitar strings on my two main sites is really my business. I have had one of the sites up since 2002 selling my husband's music CD. On that site, Larry Gene Music, I also sell my eBooks, but the guitar strings are the main thing. I tried other things, but this is now my niche. I have another site that is only about guitar strings and that is String Baby. All these little ways to make money, add up to what is called, "many streams of income". I am sure you have heard that mentioned online before. That is the way you can work at home and not have all your eggs in one basket.

My sales have been slow, but I have started getting more. My bill at Bonanza is not killing me like it did at eBay and at Amazon. So I can list my books and let them sit until they sell. I will keep listing as I know, the more you list the more you sell. That is the the golden rule of selling online. So leave me a comment if you work from home. I am interested in home based businesses, and if you have many streams of income too. Many times you may not even know you are doing that. But if you are gaining income from more than one source, that is exactly what you are doing! Time to network together!



Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole

All Photographs Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole unless otherwise stated.

8 comments:

Scott or Pam said...

Awesome. We too, sell books, among other things, online. You're right, every little bit helps. I would rather make one dollar a million times than a million dollars one time.

Theresa said...

I sold a bunch of books on amazon and it is certainly a worthy endeavour and a good way to recycle while bringing in some extra income. Good on ya.
Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love yours. My parents were back to the land-ers, sounds a little similar to what you and your husband are doing. I miss those days, I wish I lived closer to the land than I do. Your home looks lovely!

Frugal Down Under said...

I work full time in IT Services - on a help desk for schools. But I dream of working for myself so trying a few things to get my brain thinking.
I sell 2nd hand books on Fishpond, roughly 2 a week but nothing in the past 2 months.
I sell op-shop finds on Ebay for an upcoming trip to Borneo.
I sell my daughters outgrown toys/clothes on Ebay to put the money towards her college fund.
I've started to do a bit of babysitting once my little one is in bed herself. I've had 2 nights so far in the last 2 weeks - 8pm to 2:30am and was paid $70 to watch TV and read. This goes towards my daughters dance classes. 3 more stints and I will have enough for all of 2011 dance classes. Then maybe I will get a pair of expensive shoes I have been eyeing off.
I have started a little market stall too with preloved clothes, but they cancelled the next 2 monthly market.
I tried Gumtree (similar to your Craigslist i think) without success.
Interested in multiple income streams and but even more interested in passive income streams.

Eric and Moriah said...

I don't work from home yet, but I've been looking into more and more. I'm glad you mentioned Bonanza because I had never heard of it.

Joan Oshatz said...

I love books too and find it hard to part with them, but I do, because like you I want to live my life with less things -- so I, too, can live "the good but simple life."

katlupe said...

Frugal Down Under, you are on the right track! Good for you. I do have a few passive streams of income as I have three eBooks that I sell on my website. Also my husband's MP3 files of his music. So someone can buy them anytime and download the books or songs and we have made money. Over and over again. We love them! I am presently updating one of my eBooks. Think of intellectual property...you can do it!

Frugal Down Under said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I should use the babysitting time wisely. Write, read or think of passive income streams.

shopping2scale Wreaths Crafts said...

I used to sell a lot of little golden books on ebay, But got tired of it and stopped. I thought about doing this again, Perhaps I'll look into bonanza, thank you for the heads up.