Monday, January 26, 2015

Our New Pet at Peaceful Forest

Georgie Girl, "boss" horse talking to her friend, Rabbit. 

Georgie Girl is not some mild mannered elderly horse. Even though she will be 20 years old in March, she is very spirited, and does not take to everyone like she has taken to our little rabbit. She really is attached to him. I think she protects him from getting stepped on by the other two horses.

Wounded!

Imagine my husband's surprise, back in September, when he went out to clean our barn and he heard something or someone, banging around in the back where he stores our tools. He came in the house and said, "You'll never guess what I found in the barn!" It is not often you find a white rabbit in your barn. From his wounds, I believe he was dropped here by an owl. I tried to get close to him so I could doctor his wounds. Never could.


"Oh, boy, Hay!"

He just stayed in the barn and slept under a big wood box we have for kindling. Pretty much hidden. As long as he had hay, he was happy. During the day, he'd be outside eating grass on the lawn. He never bothered anything in the garden at all. Every night, he'd be back in the barn.

Eating grass around the ramp!


As he got better and recovered from his wounds, he started coming closer to the house. He put on more weight and started filling out. Soon his wounds were completely healed and gone. No sign of them anywhere now. I truly believe animals can heal themselves better than humans can. My animals have all had instances where most people would have rushed them to the vet. By not doing so, my animals have recovered quicker and more fully. In fact, my animals live long active lives.

Rabbit telling Larry good morning!

Soon he was running toward my husband on the path, circling his feet and acting excited to see him. I checked my Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery, for foods we could feed him. She mentioned carrots, greens and oats. Well, I can tell you he really loves oats! I was scared our cats would try to attack him. Especially Spots, who is a tomcat, and half wild. Nope! Instead I saw them playing together. Rabbit was chasing after the cats, instead of the other way around! He is very social.

Rabbit enjoying a meal of carrots!


I never thought we'd have a pet rabbit. Now I am glad we do. He is a free spirit, like all our other animals.






Copyright © 2015 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2015 Kathleen G. Lupole


No comments: