Sunday, October 24, 2010

She Thought She Heard Something!

Dark Shadow, my husband's horse.

Today, Dark Shadow has been whinnying real loud. When she was at the farm where we got her, she used to do that quite a bit. She would be put out in the arena while we cleaned her stall and she would race around the arena like a wild horse. I would pull in the drive way and hear her loud, strong whinny. She hated to be alone and she would let the world know that. Once they started letting her out with the other horses though, she was not so bad as she wasn't locked up like that anymore. She is a very spirited girl!

There are some hunters out and about, and she may have heard them. My husband took some hay out to her, but then she was whinnying again. So it wasn't hunger. I walked down to the corner and found there were about three vehicles of hunters and maybe some hikers down by the bridge. I know she may be smelling our neighbor's gelding up the road. Our neighbor lives about half a mile away up the road at what used to be just a camp. But he moved in a few months back and now he has a couple of horses there. I am sure he does not have a stallion, but our girls aren't that picky. It has been a long time since they have had male company or even seen another horse! 


Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole


All Photographs Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole

5 comments:

Paula & Skip said...

I love this warm way of yours when you write about your horses!

Anonymous said...

I love this picture, I am going to show it too my eldest daughter who is busy getting lost in the book 'Black Beauty' and being from inner city Leeds (North England) we don't see loads of big horses everyday!

katlupe said...

Why thank you Paula! I love to write about those girls......my favorite subject.

naughtlyneighbour, I loved Black Beauty! I had the movie and it made me cry every time. Exactly why I will NEVER get rid of my horses!

Unknown said...

The photo is lovely! It's amazing how horses can sense things that are so far away.

I loved "Black Beauty" also. It was one of the first books I ever read.

Lori said...

I just love reading about your girls too, they are simply beautiful.

I have to ask you, only because we are fans of the TV Series Dark Shadows. Is there any relation to the ancient TV show and how your horse got her name?