Friday, October 15, 2010

Making A Home Based Business Work

Rain clouds passing through my world.

I have been busy working this week on adding items for sale to my Bonanza booth. Did you remember I was selling on Bonanzle? Here is the post I wrote about it, Selling On Bonanzle. Well, they have officially changed their name to Bonanza. Things are happening there and I can feel the excitement! The sales have been slow coming, but they are coming. I just had one last night for a book I had just listed. One thing I learned from selling in my eBay store, was that the more you list, the more sales you get. That is what got me motivated to start listing this week. The sky's the limit.........but you limit yourself if you don't do anything.

katlupe's booth

One of the first things you must do if you want to have a home based business is to set up your business right from the start. That means with all the proper business licenses, state and federal tax filings, business bank account, payment module for your website if you are selling online, business plan, marketing plan, business goals, business calendar and a proper place for your inventory. It can be mind boggling, but is all important to the operation, of even the smallest home based business.

Working from home enables me to spend the time through out the day working on the websites while I am also doing chores around our homestead. Today being a rainy day, means I probably won't be outside, so working in my kitchen a bit this morning. I take a break and sit at the computer, and then get back to whatever job I was doing online. It is nice to be able to work on two things at once. I like to have my evenings free to read aloud to my husband, something we do nightly.

Sometimes you need to take a look at how you can improve your financial state. See if there is some way you can add more income to your home. Selling off things you already own is a good way to get rid of your excess of years of accumulating. Or if you are talented in some area, like sewing, knitting, crocheting, wood work, art work, etc. then you can make your own items to sell. The actual web work is fun after you know what you are doing. You can take online courses for computers and web design, or take them at a local community college. Or as my husband did, teach yourself by buying computer books and work as you learn.

You can often work with your spouse as a partner and that makes it even more fun. I like looking for items to sell as that means we usually take a ride to an antique, book or thrift shops and go out to breakfast. That makes a nice day for us as a couple and also gets us away from home and the computer work for a day. I love listing the items on my sites and try to make them user friendly to my customers. It is work, but is working for yourself, not having someone else telling you what to do. And that makes a big difference! Is there something you are thinking of selling? Is there a homebased business inside of your head? It doesn't cost anything to list on Bonanza until you sell. It doesn't cost anything to open your booth there. And it is so easy to do. The sky is the limit! But don't limit yourself by not doing anything. 

Have a great week-end!







Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole

1 comment:

wenstumped said...

Working for yourself does have a lot of advantages and with every passing year I am more and more inclined to start something of my own. I guess I need a couple more years in the rat race before I'll be ready for my own business.