Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Getting Our Garden Planted

Rebuilding the second bed.  

Since I loved the first raised bed after my husband rebuilt it, he did another one since he still had some lumber left. It hardly took him any time at all. They are easier to plant in since they are 4" higher than the old ones.

Most of these are planted now!  

The first two beds have green beans, the next two have wax beans and the other beds have a variety of squashes, cucumbers and some other plants. It looks like a big garden for two people, I know. I can everything and we eat it over time. I like knowing we have food to eat in the future. That way if you have a bad year for one or two vegetables you will have it in your pantry from the years before. It seems to balance out this way. Two years of having the tomatoes destroyed by the dreaded Late Blight, but used my last jar of canned tomatoes a couple weeks ago.

Green beans already coming up!

Imagine my joy this morning when I saw my first bed of green bean plants already showing their faces! These are bush beans, not pole beans. Pole beans need supports and at this time it is just easier for me not having to worry about that. We had so much rain that I was concerned that my seeds would rot. Not worried now! We are getting plenty of sunshine for the moment.


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray for getting gardens in! I got everything in this morning and have my fingers crossed for a successful year. Right now we're experiencing 30 mph wind gusts and my tomatoes are not happy! Yikes!

katlupe said...

Goodness, 30 MPH winds?? We are having a very still, hot day. My green beans have grown since this morning, quite a bit! I hope your tomatoes make it. My squash plants are still ify.

teekaroo said...

My green beans are peeking out as well. I love watching them grow.

Kimberly said...

I love my raised beds. My green beans are just growing like crazy and my squashes and watermelons and such a joy to watch!

katlupe said...

Yesterday I took that photo that is on my blog of the green beans. By late afternoon they were twice that size and had leaves!! I love watching them grow too.