Friday, October 14, 2011

The Fall Scent



Quietly it slips in, silently at first,
Sun shining, blue skies.
Leaves turning color ever so slightly,
Then the leaves become brilliantly colored.
Like a painting on a canvas.




Falling on the ground is a sure sign.
The color is hard to miss now.
Bright deep reds, oranges, and yellows,
Even some browns.



Another clue, the chopping of wood,
Wood piles building up,
Kindling and split wood.
Ah, the smell of fresh wood in the fall!
The tell tale swirl of wood smoke as it escapes,
It's scent in the air.



Food left behind in the garden,
Still trying to ripen and grow
Cold weather plants loving the cold nights,
The brisk days, saying,
"I am still alive! Don't take me out yet!"







Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole






3 comments:

mergie said...

I can smell Fall in your post. It's my favorite time of year.You must like it too.

Annie said...

I Love that first picture, it looks gorgeous at your Homestead.

I wish I could have had a Fall Garden in this year - I'll bet you will enjoy that Broccoli!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Katlupe for linking up! My intent is simple to stay connected with other homesteaders! I love that you live off grid it must be soooo peaceful! I love fall and your post is certainly inspiring as well! See you around the HT boards!