Thursday, October 27, 2011

Next Gardening Season Plans

Butternuts Stored!

As I take stock of our pantry for the winter, I see big holes in areas of my prepping. There are many items that need to be stocked up more. My goal is to strive for at least two years worth of food and supplies. Once you have that stocked, your monthly budget would be for just replacing what you have used that month. Or putting that money aside to save for bulk buying in six months or so. But do not use that money for anything else no matter what!

Green Hubbard Squash

I took a look at my garden and saw the space I wasted on too many winter squash type plants. They don't really produce a lot for each plant. It is easier for me to purchase them from local market gardens. Our garden is small and when one plant takes up a lot of space and produces only one or two squash, then it is time to evaluate that plant. I am not talking about all winter squash. The butternuts I grow always produce plenty.

Boothbys Blonde Cucumber

The cucumbers, yellow summer squash and zucchini take up extra space as they spread out. They produce a lot of food, so I don't mind how much space they want. I was very happy with my Boothbys Blonde cucumber and will be planting more of them next year. The squash, I can't say enough good things about that. I managed to can 73 quarts and it will be giving us something to eat in the winter.




Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole


3 comments:

Mary Bennett said...

We went great guns, then Irene cam and ripped plants out. For the plants that weren't destroyed outright, they just didn't produce. Only the tomatoes really survived, though the tomatoes were smaller.

Carolyn said...

How do you can your squash? Just in water, smooshed up, or cubed? We had a bumper crop of butternut and although I'd like to see how long they will last in storage, I'd also like to try canning some.

Cascia Talbert said...

It looks like you had a bountiful harvest. I miss my garden. We are renting now so I wasn't able to plant one this year. Have a great weekend!