Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Traveling To The Store



My apartment is about 3 blocks from my closest grocery store. I have not been able to walk to it. Not even with my rolling walker. Months ago, I made it as far as the post office with it, but I didn't feel confident enough to go that far. Especially across that large, hot parking lot. In February, I purchased a mobility chair. A few of my neighbors in my apartment building use these chairs and scooters to get around town. They travel at a pretty fast clip. I was excited about buying the chair, but scared to use it. Once I got over the initial fear that I was not going to tip over, especially going up and down the ramp, I started using it more.


Broad Street in Norwich, NY

I met a man one day who was shopping using his mobile scooter. He stopped and talked to me. I told him I wasn't sure if I could make it to the grocery store. I doubted if my battery would hold the charge long enough to go there and back. He took a look at my battery charge meter and said it was fine and I would easily be able to go there and back and then some. So I did. That was my first time. Ever since then, I have loved going places with my chair.


Pride Jazzy Mobility Chair


My chair, I call "Jazzy" due to the manufacturer named it that. It is made by Pride Mobility and I am impressed with the quality of every part of my chair. I feel comfortable now going up and down the ramp to my building and even navigating the sidewalk ramps around my city. There are areas along my routes that have bad deteriorating sidewalks and I am just careful going around those if I can. I do not want to damage Jazzy in any way or ruin a tire.



My New Shopping Bag

Now that I am able to go to the grocery store, I feel so much freedom in doing so. I bought a large zippered insulated bag for the back of my chair to carry my groceries in. It was $7.99 at my local Aldi's and worth every penny. I bought ice cream and drove home along a longer route than usual and when I got home my ice cream was still frozen brick hard. Now that is well insulated as it was a very hot day!


"I made it!"

If you are trapped inside due to any type of health issues, it can cause you to get pretty depressed. One of these chairs or scooters gives you a way to get outside and around town. Living downtown is a lot of fun if you can walk or ride to the little shops, drugstores, the library, parks, restaurants and cafes. During the good weather there are a lot of outdoor activities taking place within two minutes of my apartment. Just don't forget to put your battery on the charger at night! 








Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2023







No comments: