Friday, November 15, 2019

How I Made My Apartment Bunny Safe

Protecting this dresser with cardboard

Everybody mentions to me how destructive pet rabbits are and how can I keep one free roaming in my apartment. It takes a bit of time and money to figure it out. In my house where I lived previously, it wasn’t much of a problem. Here though, I am in a modern studio apartment and have six wall outlets that are at rabbit height. So bunny proofing was one of the first things I did. When I am out for the day, I do not want to have to worry about Rabbit chewing an electrical wire. He has never messed with wires so maybe they do not appeal to him……..BUT, I am not taking any chances! One chew and he is gone! At local hardware or building supply stores they sell cord protectors. They cover all the cords with a heavy type of plastic, Hopefully your bunny will not chew through those. I chose instead to block all the electrical outlets that he can reach. This works well for us and of course, like I mentioned he has never showed any interest in electric cords.


Rabbit likes to chew on corners.

I suppose if you do not own a rabbit yourself, you are probably wondering why they chew on everything so much. The reason is their teeth, like horses' will keep growing if they can't chew on something. They NEED to chew on something! I had a lot of firewood in my previous home, so he naturally climbed on the hearth and chewed firewood whenever he wanted. Here I bring in a piece of firewood with the bark on, green wood if possible for him. Be careful bringing in dry wood and check it for small bugs. Sometimes in the winter the bugs will be under the bark hibernating and you won't know they are there till you put it in a warm place. Like your apartment!  


The electrical outlet is blocked from Rabbit

I have made an alley behind most of my furniture for Rabbit. He loves to find a spot to nap during the day that is private. Behind the cedar chest is a spot he likes but I have it blocked at the end where the electric outlet is. Now he does not chew on all my furniture or woodwork. All of a sudden he will start chewing on something new so I block it. That is why I take shipping boxes apart and save them. Just in case. He can run and hide if something scares him. Usually under my bed. Rabbits like to have something over the top of them, like a table, a chair they can go under or a piece of furniture like a vanity. That little cozy spot is inviting to Rabbit and he has various spots through out my apartment.


The pressed board blocks the power strip and wires to the computer.

I work on my computer daily. Rabbit spends a lot of time under the table. I have all my cords from my computer, the USB hub, the external hard drive, printer and coffee mug warmer plugged into a strip that is in a tall basket. Sounds protected, huh? Well no, because Rabbit wanted to chew on my basket! So there is a large thick piece of press board in front of the basket, as well as the cords from the printer and going to the electric outlet. He can't get to them if he wanted to. Now as of right now, he has never chewed on the wood chair at the table or the rocking chair. If he ever does, I will have to protect them in some way.


The chest is protected, but the firewood is for him to chew on.

Rabbit is free roaming in my apartment and it is good for him. This way he gets exercise plus he finds things to do. He does not care for toys at all. One thing he enjoys is the box I made into a tunnel for him. He sleeps in it often. I know a lot of people with house rabbits tell of their rabbits climbing on beds or watching television from a couch. He does not care to do that I guess. He likes when I am watching videos on my flat screen when I am laying on my bed or before I go to sleep for the night. I think he likes sounds. I play music a lot and he has always enjoyed that. 


The sticks are for chewing!






Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: