Sunday, November 24, 2019

Kitchen Storage Rack In A Small Kitchen

OBOR Narrow Home Organizer Rack

Living in a studio apartment means you have to make every single bit of space be used wisely. As far as studio apartments go, or even apartments in general, my kitchen is unbelievable. I have a lot of cupboards in a small space that has room for a wheelchair, a mobility chair or a rolling walker. Since it is in a spot that has no window, there is a "pass through" as it is called. It is in front of the sink, where I always enjoyed my windows in other homes I lived in. The light from my very large windows come through and I can see out the window or even my house bunny's cage and surrounding area. Even so, I still needed more storage in the kitchen for food. I cook most of my meals at home and don't really buy ready to heat and eat types of food. I started researching Pinterest for storage. I watched tons of YouTube videos on living in small apartments and tiny homes.


Opening the box...

I did not see one inch of space anywhere in my kitchen to add any type of storage shelves. I was looking on Amazon and found this sliding storage shelf that only uses six and a half inches of space and slides in and out of the space on wheels. I measured the area between my counter and refrigerator. Four inches. I measured the other side of the refrigerator. Four more inches. I can do this! By moving the refrigerator three inches toward the wall, I had the amount of space needed. 


Time to put together

I ordered this one on Amazon, sold by OBOR for $38.99 with free shipping because I am a Prime customer. It has four storage shelves and wheels to move it back and forth. It would have had good reviews, but the reviews I saw were for the other product they sell for under the sink. So I did not leave a review for it on Amazon. It is made of a heavy duty type of plastic called polypropylene. It can hold heavy bottles and jars and still moves easily. 


Handles and wheels

When it arrived, I could not wait to put it together! It went together pretty easily once I figured out how to do it. It had an instruction page to show you how to do it. I got stuck a bit on the wheels, but finally figured it out. It has handles on each side of the top. I think it looks good, especially once I filled it up. It is easy to clean too. If you look into my kitchen from the door you don't even see it. 


Putting it together now


One thing that made me like it a lot was that I did not have to use anything to put it together. No screws, nuts or bolts! No nails or tools either! That is a plus for me as I am not mechanically inclined. It pops together and it is a tight fit. I put the wrong shelf on the top and had to take it apart. That was the hardest part of the whole thing. I got it put together though. My advice if you get this one is to be sure to check each shelf as to where it goes. The bottom shelf had the spot for the wheels to hook on, so it had to be on the bottom. I finished it and it is very sturdy. If I can put it together, anyone can! 


All Done!


It is about as tall as my stove is. I decided to store condiments mostly on it and leave my canned and boxed items in the cupboards. That way I can get a condiment out quickly if needed during a meal and not spend time searching for it. The bottom cupboards are hard for me to see into as I cannot get down on the floor. The higher cupboards are hard for me too! I have to stand on a stool to get stuff out of them. This sliding shelf is perfect for me!


Fits Perfectly!

The sliding shelf's size is 17.7” L x 6.5” W x 37.8” H (45 x 16.5 x 96 cm) and weights 5.6 lbs.  The space between the first and second shelves is 13” and the other two shelves is 8.7”. Plenty of room to store things. I was surprised about how big it was and how much I could put on it.


It slides right into a 6" space!

I was able to put my tea container right on top of it. So now I can just open it and pick a tea bag out. Right near the hot pot that I use for hot water. Watching the videos about living in tiny houses, I was amazed how they were able to organize those tiny houses and store so much stuff. I have organized most of my things so they are mostly things I use. I am still in the process of making everything so it is easy to get to so I can use it. This eliminates searching for things you need.


Tea tin is easy to use now


I like it so much that if I had another space available in here, I would buy another one for my DVDs. They fit perfectly on the shelves. In the bathroom too, it would be handy. I have ideas for one or two more downstairs in my storage area. How much easier it would be than digging through plastic totes not knowing where you put something. I like that it is movable.


Filling it up!




Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: