Monday, December 02, 2019

Cooking For One With Love

Cooking for myself


Preparing meals for yourself when you live alone tends to depress people. If you were used to cooking for others and sitting down to a nice meal, chances are you are not sure how to make an enjoyable meal for one. Grabbing a quick sandwich in front of the computer or television is not the same. Though I am guilty of eating in front of my computer, normally I am eating a meal that I prepared. Not processed food that comes in a box. I am not saying anything against those, but for the most part, I believe your meal is more enjoyable when you take the time to make something yourself.


I am always on my computer!

Lately I have been watching YouTube videos about people who live in Asian countries and how they live and cook meals. One that stands out in my mind is the people who live in Okinawa, Japan. They outlive almost any other country. I always heard people saying it had to do with the coral in the water there. After watching the video, I don’t think that is why. I think it is due to their lifestyle. They cook their food from fresh ingredients daily. No processed foods. They also stay active. Exercise, sports, Yoga and dancing keeps them moving. Interacting with their friends and families. Doing something daily. Not sitting in front of a television, or what I am guilty of, the computer, or a book. Moving around every single day. 


Broccoli in cheese sauce

Taking the time to find a recipe for something you would like to cook, shows you love yourself enough to put together a good dish…….just for you! Self-love is cooking for yourself. Making the ingredient list, shopping for the ingredients, is all a part of the process. I like to put on some music before I get started in my kitchen. I put all my ingredients out together. Look them over and then line them up according to the order in which I need them. I take out the bowls, measuring cups and spoons, knives, pans, pots, whatever I will need. Now the key to making it enjoyable, is to do it slowly. Do not hurry through the preparation process. Preparing your food is showing yourself love.


Meatloaf, broccoli and acorn squash with ice tea

When fixing my meal, I make enough to serve more than one. Having leftovers that I can freeze for future quick meals is a plus in my book. Or just refrigerate and eat all week……..yes, I am guilty of doing that too! Since I was eating a low carb diet, I got used to not eating sugar, bread and other processed foods. For some reason the low carb diet stopped working for me. I was tired all the time, didn’t have the energy everyone gets from it. I hadn't lost much weight either. My doctor did a thorough check up and did test my thyroid. I decided to give myself a rest from the low carb life and try something different. I am basically eating less meat, more vegetables and fruit. I missed the fruit on low carbs. Now I am also eating organic grains, legumes and more nuts. Not wheat. On the low carb diet I ate large servings of meat. Now I am limiting my portions of that too. It makes my food go farther this way too. I could never afford to buy all organic foods for the low carb diets. I use some organic when I can afford it. 


Cooking a pan full gives you future meals!

Well this blog post is not about my diet or what I eat. It is about how I cook. I made my version of Paella yesterday. It was full of good food and lots of self love. I did not hurry myself through the preparation and cooking. Kind of go with the flow. Works well for me since I cannot stand for long periods. I start making food and stop to sit down for a few minutes. Then go back to it. What I love best about cooking for myself is that nobody is waiting for you to finish cooking it because they are starving. Or they are waiting to eat so they can leave because they have to be somewhere else. I am a slow eater so this type of cooking suits me perfectly. Now if I have it prepared already and in the refrigerator and company arrives, I just need to heat it up. 


kat's version of Paella

I have been experimenting with middle eastern and Asian recipes, spices and ingredients. It seems like they are healthier and the blend of the spices is amazing. I use a recipe and adjust the ingredients to ones I have or are familiar with. If it is something new I want to try, I research it first. YouTube has some really informative videos on international cooking. I have always cooked with spices and herbs, but I think I took them for granted. My boyfriend got me into trying different ones, even though he doesn't know he did that. You do not need to buy special blends because it is more fun making them yourself. This way you can be sure what is in them and that there is no MSG (monosodium glutamate) in them. Many Asian recipes have it listed as an ingredient so you should eliminate that. I will be sharing some of the recipes I have found on this blog soon. Enjoy self-love by cooking a special meal for yourself today!




Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole

All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: