Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Winter Time In New York

Winter in NY state

Living in a snowy, cold climate is no longer depressing to me. When I lived on my off-the-grid homestead, I would say or write that I couldn’t wait for winter to end. When it snowed more, I hated it. I did not actually hate the snow. Or the cold weather. I just hated the fact that I lived with someone who would become enraged with anger over snow and cold weather. Truthfully, the winter was just beautiful there! I loved seeing the trees with snow covered branches. I loved seeing the dirt road completely hidden under the snow. I loved the silence of the snow, the first thing in the morning, I’d sit on my porch with a cup of coffee to just take in the wonder of it all. It was an amazing view to me every time it snowed. 




The beauty of a fresh snowfall

I was sad that I was not allowed to enjoy it due to someone else not liking it and putting him in a bad mood. Especially when you have lived in NY state  your whole life and you know what to expect when winter comes. I really loved it. Now here I am in the city and winter seems far away to me from my apartment window. I have no forest nearby, in the distance yes, but not close enough to feel it. The person that hated it is still living there in the forest and probably still hating it. Yet what could be more amazing than a forest around you covered with snow? Hearing the chickadees as they fly around you asking for a handout? As I get older, those memories are cherished forever. I can hear them in my mind as I watch the snow falling from my apartment window.




No trees around my apartment building

My apartment building has no trees close by. At least not where I can see them close up. The downtown area has trees in the parks and along the streets. All the trees I see from my windows are in the forests in the distance. I am not complaining though. At least I can see them. I love my home here so I will not ever complain about it. My promise to myself is to never look back at what was or might have been. I look ahead to each and every day. If it snows, I love it. If it rains, I love it too. The only thing I so not love is thunder and lightning. I never will, though I am not as frightened by it as I once was. Not here.




A daily visitor to my house in St. Petersburg, FL

I have lived in the hot climate of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina (for a short time). Florida mostly. I say I grew up in Florida because those were the years as a child and teenager, when you do most of your growing up. I loved it back then. In 1994, I went back to Florida as an adult and I could not deal with the hot weather any longer. Tropical climates are not for me. I guess that is a good thing. Too many people are living in those states already. I believe you should choose to live where and how you want. Life is short. Make the best of it by living with the climate you enjoy, not dread every year.




The view outside my window

I admit to not having to do snow clean up like a lot of people have to do. I think that is why they do not like the cold weather and snow. Actually the one thing I hated about winter was having to drive on the snowy, icy roads. I hated that. Now living where and how I do, I do not have to deal with that. I do not own a car and have no plans of ever owning one. I never thought I would say this, but I never want to have one again. I like not having to drive anywhere, let alone the expense. It is one of the headaches of people living in a downtown apartment. Their cars. They have to move them from the parking lots of their buildings when the threat of snow is in the news. Why? So it can be plowed. The parking lot for my building is plowed several times during the night as long as it keeps snowing. But where to park? There is a city lot nearby and it allows parking at night there for all the surrounding apartment residents. Good thing because it would be a big problem. Especially for people in my building who are not able to get around well enough to park a distance away.




Home!

I may not be able to hear the silence of the snow, but I enjoy this time of year just the same. I miss using Jazzy, my mobility chair to go shopping or the park, but I have it to look forward to in the spring. In the meantime, I have a lot of projects I am working on this winter. Enjoy every minute of your life while you have it. That is what I intend to do. Wherever you live, have an awesome winter!






Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2021

No comments: