Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas Memories



Christmas Eve brings back so many special memories for me. As a child, my parents got tired of having to rise early on Christmas morning because of my brother, Mickey and I wanting to open our presents. It was their one day of being able to sleep late and we would not let them. Soon they were surprising us with Santa coming on Christmas Eve instead. We would go visit my Aunt Helen and Uncle Eddie and take presents to my cousins, Richard and Sharon. When we got home, wow! Santa had been there already and left our presents under the tree! We never put two and two together that my father, who didn't go with us (because he owned a gas station across the road and had to work while we were gone) had put the presents out.






I remember a couple of years that we went downstairs to the cellar so my father could show us what he had bought for our mother. Then we'd play down there a bit riding our bikes on the dirt floor while he tinkered at his work bench. Pretty soon we'd go upstairs and Santa had been there and we missed him again! After we moved to Florida, we were a few years older, our Christmas presents coming from Santa was no longer something we believed. I suspected for long time before that, but did not say anything because Mickey would get mad if I mentioned it. Both of our parents worked so Christmas Eve was a day off for them. It was always a day of doing work around our house. Somehow, Christmas in Florida was not like Christmas in New York. Maybe the snow? My father would be outside working on our house, not like the winters we were used to. So they would let us have our presents around noon.





We had a tree and decorated our house. My mother and I would make a nice dinner, usually ham. They did not go overboard with presents or food. We got the things we usually wanted. I think what I missed most during those years of Christmas in Florida, was our family in New York. My grandmother especially. I was really close to her and used to spend a few nights at her house quite often. Not seeing my aunts, uncles and cousins at Christmas or any other time was sad for me. We had friends but it was not the same. By the time we moved back to New York, everyone had grown up. Life was different.




When I had my son, Jeffrey, I made sure his Christmas was special. I know I overdid it, but it was the way I pictured Christmas being when I was a child. Many of the decorations in my apartment now are remnants of past Christmases in my own life. Life passes by so fast, we don't realize it. Now my son doesn't really care for Christmas or holiday celebrations. He lives down the street from me and I see him almost daily. I plan on making a nice dinner for my boyfriend, Sonny and me, and if Jeffrey wants to eat with us, he will. If not, I will just give him a plate to take home. It will still be a nice day and I am happy with not spending a lot of money on presents or big meals.



From our home to your home.......


Merry Christmas to all my readers! 



Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2021

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is Christmas so sweet and reminds me of my childhood Christmas expieriances