Monday, September 21, 2020

Food Saver Vacuum Sealing Meat For One

Food Saver Vacuum Sealer

 Don't make the mistake of buying small packages of meat because you think you won't use it all.  It is usually much cheaper to buy the larger packages. Using the vacuum sealer made by Food Saver makes it easy for me to freeze meat and vegetables. I started out using the plastic freezer bags. Honestly, I became quite frustrated with those bags. I was careful to get all the air out of the bag. Yet every time, ice crystals built up inside the bags. In fact, ice crystals will build up inside frozen vegetables in bags that have never been opened too. 


Pull the bag down to cut size needed.

I was given my Food Saver by my boyfriend. He had one that he did not use anymore. Figuring I'd give it a try and see if I could freeze the meat without having ice crystals build up. I ordered the bags from Amazon and started watching YouTube videos on how to do it. I was doubtful at first. After a couple of times I found it very easy to do. Now I vacuum seal at least once a month. The Food Saver gives me the opportunity to purchase bulk packages of meat when on sale. So far I have not wasted any at all. I have not tried other types of food yet but plan on doing so in the future.  


Seal the bag with Food - Dry - Seal.

The first time I bought the bags they were wider. The next time those exact bags were not available so I bought ones that were not as wide by mistake. I was disappointed when they were delivered. But.......now that I am using those, I am glad they are this size. A lot less waste of the bags. I can still fit the amount of meat needed in each bag. Perfect size for one person! I did not buy the Food Saver brand bags, but the vacuum sealing bags I bought both times were off brands and worked great. 


In the bag and ready to vacuum seal.

First thing you do is to pull the bag down and slide the cutter across to make it the size you need. Now you need to seal it on one end, which you do by putting it inside the bottom door. That is where I had some difficulty at first. You need a good seal, yet you need room in the bag. Learning how much length you need is the trick, but you will learn. There is a knob on the side that you need to push down so it closes the door tightly. Wait for the light to go out on the control panel. It is done.


The ground beef being vacuum sealed.

Now you can put the meat in the bag. Careful with beef as it might have some blood dripping. There is a little tray that is inside the bottom door that catches any blood or juice that squeezes out. It is removable so you can wash it. Place the unsealed end of the bag which has the meat inside over that little tray and close the door and push the knob that tightens the door. Now on the control panel push Food - Moist - Vacuum & Seal. If it does not do anything or it does not sound normal, cancel and check the bag. Make sure it is positioned right and try again. When it is finished, I always wipe the top of the bag where it sealed as sometimes there is blood or juice in between the edges. 


A month's supply

This is a good way to save money at the store. If you have a larger freezer you can buy larger amounts of meat for several months. My freezer, which is in the top of my refrigerator is big enough for me. I know of two neighbors here who have freezers in their apartments. I could do that but would have to take out my bookcase to do so. I don't feel like I really need it since I live downtown and can always get food. Since I moved here not having a budget for groceries is a thing of the past. Sometimes I buy extra food to share with my son who lives just down the street. 


Small, but full freezer.

The final thought here is that I started using a vacuum sealer so I could buy those large packages of chicken and ground beef at good prices in the store. I hated opening a freezer bag and having it full of ice crystals. I just don't like that. Now I have all the ingredients, including meat and vegetables for putting together meals for one or two. I like to have leftovers for the next day because it gives me a rest from cooking. I like to cook again! Something I had grown to hate to do. I recommend the Food Saver vacuum sealer because it works for me. Hopefully it will for you too and save you money. 



Copyright © 2020 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2020  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2021





No comments: