Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Limit Social Media To Start Living Life

Fall in New York State

 As I grow older life begins to become crystal clear to me. Things I didn't understand or pay attention to, now stand out to me in ways they never did before. My life has been a very rough road when I look back on it. From being a teen mother to a single woman at almost seventy years old..........wow, how did I survive it so far? Now I think, "I survived another night." Somewhere along the way within these last couple of years, I realize it is most important to focus on myself. Living alone makes that easier to do. I have heard from many women (some men too, they can end up in this situation also) how they are miserable where they are right now. Yet feel they are powerless to change it. Anyone can change it. If I could do it, you can do it.

Across the street from my home.

I watch people tearing each other down. Arguing and fighting. Lying. Beating each other up. Full of anger and hatred.This is what our world around us has become. All I have to do is to look at comments on any social media page and I get disgusted with those people. I admit these people trigger my anger and I end up posting on my own social media page the aftereffect of it all. I do not want to do that. I believe that is what they want you to do. Make us hate each other. The best thing I can do for my own self is to limit social media. Keep trimming my friends list. Limit my own posts from certain people that I want to keep as a friend for some reason.


Busy corner a block away.

My life goes on with less social media just fine. I go to a couple groups I belong to and instead of using the news feed, I now go to specific friends' timelines. Much better that way! More personal since I see everything they have posted. If I work on other things through out my day, I do not miss the social media. It is a habit. Like hanging out somewhere. Once you skip going for a week or so, it is not a habit anymore. I have liked staying in contact with my family and friends there. The biggest challenge is maintaining that connection which you can only do by being on Facebook. It is something I keep thinking about but there seems to be no other way. Facebook is the only way people want to interact with each other. Not sure why they got so powerful. Even on forums though everyone fights. I guess that is life.


Some shops and restaurants.

I have watched a number of videos on YouTube about people who quit social media and some left for good. They seem pleased with that choice. It is a choice they made for various reasons. One being that their life became more productive and peaceful. Some found they were exercising more and getting out of their house. Doing things instead of posting on various social media sites. I envy them in a way, but I would miss my online friends a lot. Many of them live in different states and some in different countries. So I an not going to be closing my accounts any time soon, but I am spending less time on it. 


Norwich homes on N. Broad St.

What I have been doing lately on Facebook, is to spend my time in a few groups I enjoy (no politics or religion). I often share my own life or what is on my mind on my timeline. Though even if someone's post is not political or religious........it can start an argument. Even my genealogy group on Facebook gets into big fights over the fact that some Ancestry members have "private" trees and some have "public". Good grief, just do what you want and don't worry so much about what someone else is doing. That is what is wrong with this world today. Probably always been that way, but I didn't know it before I started living on the internet. 



 
Copyright © 2020 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2020  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2021

  

No comments: