Saturday, September 19, 2020

Scheduling My Cleaning Routine

kat's Studio


I qualified due to my age and physical condition to having an aide come in to clean for three hours a week. As soon as I knew this I applied immediately! Several of my neighbors in my building have them and I see the aides coming and going to their apartments. Thinking it would be great! My friend who lives in the country has one too. She comes in and just goes to work and cleans his home whether he is there or not. He does not have to tell her what to do and she even organized his pantry (which was badly in need of that). It did not work that well with me. I was not comfortable with someone else doing my cleaning. Not that I am overly picky, but after she left I still had to clean what she cleaned. Let's just leave it at that. There were other issues too.


Weekly & monthly chores.

My apartment is very small, a small space needs constant attention or it will get out of control very fast. I knew that the key to keeping up with it is to develop a cleaning routine. One that you do on certain days and times. There are some jobs that need to be done daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. If you let things go, over time it will become a big job. When you have physical disabilities you need to do it while it is easy. I find that I do my best work in the mornings, always have. So I start my day tackling those chores. I strive to be finished with them by noon. Noon is when I start preparing my breakfast and so after I eat and clean up I done till supper.


Keeping my chore list in sight!

One job I struggled with was vacuuming the floor. I recently replaced the old used vacuum I had been given when I moved in with a new one. What a difference it made! The first time it was used (by the aide) she had to empty it twice! It was like this apartment had never been vacuumed. I suppose it hadn't since I had to monkey around with it every time I used it. Plus it was a very heavy cleaner. Probably better quality than the new one which is very light. They are both the same brand though, Bissell. I realize it is not usually my fault I can't do something. Sometimes it is the quality of the equipment or the product I am using. My advice is to experiment with changing products or equipment and see if it works better. Or is easier to use.


Small kitchen floor.

Mopping the floor is not a job I can't do. I can do it. I think I put it off longer than I should. Now that I have a scheduled routine, I promise myself I will stick to it. I love cleaning an area and then looking at it later and thinking how great it looks. I am keeping that thought in my head so I don't skip it. The kitchen and bathroom floors are small and only take ten minutes at the most to mop. When I lived in the house I had before moving here, I had no floors that I could clean. They were dusty from firewood, carrying in water and dirt being tracked in constantly. There was no way anyone could have kept up with it. Sweeping was a constant job. This apartment is so easy after that!


A stool nearby is essential for me.

If you have limitations like I do, you have to figure out other methods to do what needs to be done. It is not impossible for me. Depends on what is wrong with you.. Standing for long periods of time is something I cannot do. I have learned to sit down before it hurts. Stand at the counter or sink doing whatever and then sit down. Then stand back up and continue. You won't get done fast, but if you stick with it the job will be done. I use a rolling walker for carrying things in and out of my apartment. I keep a tray on it when I am using it this way. I can take my garbage out or do my laundry with it making these chores easier. There is always a way but sometimes you need to think outside of the box. 



Copyright © 2020 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2020  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2021



No comments: