Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Apples And Grapes Grow Wild In The Forest

 Maple, Hawthorn, Cherry & Apple Trees

Apple growing is pretty common here in New York state. Our weather is just right for it, and our state is known for both, our apples and grapes. Both crops need the type of climate we have. In fact, the grapes are usually better tasting if we get a frost before they are harvested.

Wild Fox Grape Vine

Both fruits, apples and grapes grow wild around us in the state forest as well as on private properties. Not to mention the many varieties of berries and nuts. The birds feast on the berries and fruits before they are ripe. The deer get all the low apples and the ones that fall to the ground. Squirrels and chipmunks stow the nuts and probably some of the fruits, as well, away for their winter meals.

Apples on new trees!

So for me to be able to harvest any of them after they are ripe is amazing with all that competition. This year I am going to do my best to get a decent harvest from the apple trees and the berry bushes. I want to can those for our winter fruit supply. I love looking around and seeing all this food growing. All I have to do is harvest it. Then can or dry it. Having those jars of food on my shelves gives me a feeling of security. Not to mention the feeling of pride when I grow it or harvest it from the forest.


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

1 comment:

Paula said...

The feeling of accomplishment, the feeling of sharing with nature what nature gives.