Saturday, July 09, 2011

Day Lilies Are An Edible Plant

 Day lilies grow along my road!

July is a month I look forward to because our day lilies are in bloom. They are so beautiful along side the road in front of our house and paddock. The roads through out the state forest have them too, but not like we have.

 Beautiful!

One year, I was so happy to see them in full bloom........the next day our local highway department mowed them all down! I was livid! You can believe they heard about it from me! The next year I was waiting for them. But they were already under instructions not to mow them down. I can see mowing along the sides of roads that have traffic. Hey, we live in the state forest. Not that much traffic here. Besides my husband keeps it mowed real pretty all summer and it looks nicer than any road I have ever seen.

Summer time flowers!
Day lilies are good to have around. They are an edible wild plant. You can cook the early spring shoots like asparagus. Or include them in your salads. The roots are also edible and the flowers themselves are also safe to eat. Basically you can eat them all spring, summer and fall. Fresh flowers are usually cooked as fritters. Fresh, dried or withered flowers can be used in stews. Flower buds can be prepared as green beans are. The white tubers (roots) can added to salad or cooked like corn.

An edible plant and flower!

I think it is good to know about edible wild plants even if you would never plan on serving them for dinner. Gather some and cook them and add them to some salads. Show your children how you do it. Then try them. That way at least you know how to use them if sometime in the future you may need them. In this world today, you never know. Teach your children so they will know when they are grown up. The day may come when this knowledge will be lifesaving.


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

9 comments:

Bev's Urban Garden said...

I did not know this. Awesome. I have some yellow one's and some orange varigated in my yard that I "gathered" from my mother's yard. I am glad they did not mow them down again. I also tweeted this because I thought it was so interesting.

~Deb~ said...

Thanks Kat for the info that these beauties are edible as well, I just found out this year that the entire dandelion plant is edible too! You are right about the world we live in being unpredictible and we all do need to learn how to survive on our own and what to eat if we are ever faced with doing so! Great post! (and a very pretty one too, glad they aren't cutting them down this year!!)
Deb~

Lori said...

I learn something new everytime I visit! :)

katlupe said...

I think everyone should have an edible plant guide so you can check it to make sure you are eating something that is safe.

Lady Bren said...

So glad i found your blog.... so informative

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog. I look forward to reading more.

that's life! said...

I had no idea these were edible.

Tiger lillies are far from being my favourite flower (sorry), but food?

I'll definitely give 'em a go at some point and see if I like them!

Dot said...

Where I live they are called Day Lillies and once you have them, they will fill a space in no time. I gave away about 4 bushels of them this spring. I never thought about eating them but will have to try a couple of the ideas. Thanks

Unknown said...

Asian cooks have used tiger lilies in cuisine for hundreds of years. It's an element in one of my mother's favorite Chinese dishes - roasted chicken with tiger lilies, tree ears, and gravy. However, we have always bought them in dried form and have never harvested them fresh. Maybe it's time to try!