Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fence Work This Morning

 Georgie Girl and Dark Shadow

This morning I woke up to find my horses sticking their heads over the fence to eat the grass on the other side. That meant one thing to me, the fence is NOT hot. So when my husband went out to feed them, I went with him. I fed Georgie Girl her breakfast and she loved me doing that. I really need to get back to doing that every day.

 Morning at Peaceful Forest

Anyway we ended up working on the fence on the front corner. It was really in bad shape! Tawny could have easily gone out from under it with no problem. She used to get out all the time. We'd get up and there she'd be in the yard eating grass. The other two girls would be racing around the paddock......mad, not because she was out, but because she was able to eat that grass and they weren't.

Fence fixed!

I miss the wood fence. It was much sturdier than the metal fence post kind. The insulators were nailed to the post and held their position. Shoot, sometimes I couldn't even get them off the post with the hammer! But now I have these insulators that have to be slid onto the metal post. Some of these metal posts we have are really not made for horses. Too flimsy!

Cutting the grass and weeds 

My husband then hammered some of the post in so that they were more secure.Then he got out the scythe and started clearing the front of the paddock of the grass and weeds that the horses will not eat. It is funny that they won't eat them on their own. But once he started cutting it............yeah, you guessed it! They started eating it! Must be they want someone to cut their grass for them. Spoiled little girls.



Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

4 comments:

Paula said...

Makes me feel serene when following your day around the peaceful homestead. Much love up North

Joe said...

I love to see photos of your homestead! So green and lush, and appears to be wonderful weather! I daydream as I look because we are building a section of fence on the ranch right now and it looks a little more like the Mojave Desert! We've been trying to keep from getting heatstroke but it can be difficult in 108+ degree weather...
Keep up the great photography!

katlupe said...

Thank you for your visits to my blog and making comments! It does seem like our summer is pretty nice this year.

Joe, I don't think I could take those temperatures!

Scott or Pam said...

Wish our place looked so green. Great pics. I've been working on fence in 100 dgree weather with no rain since the 40 inches in March and April. I am envious...