Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Baby Bird Spends The Night!

 A Baby Bird!


Last night around nightfall, my son, Jeffrey, called to me from outside to bring my camera quick. I looked out there and saw him in the driveway looking at something. So I grabbed my camera, and to my surprise here is what I saw. He didn't seem to mind my camera's flash in his face. He chirped a bit to us. I  was afraid something would get him during the night. I was hopeful his parents would find him. I looked around and there were no birds around.

He spent the night right there!


This morning as soon as I got up, I ran outside to see if the baby bird was still there. Indeed, he was. Then he flew to the tall weeds in front of the barn and perched on one. I was worried, as my cats had to come out of the house soon. And I knew he'd never survive if he couldn't fly high when they came out. I reached to touch his soft baby feathers. Oh, he did not like that!

He was quite comfortable with the camera!

He flew low over the fence and the paddock, and landed in some higher trees. So I figured he was on his own now. I haven't seen him around here today. I hope he found his family and survives. It's tough for baby birds. Many do not survive. Everyone wants to kill them, even other birds. I hope this little guy survives.


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

2 comments:

Paula said...

Kat, how sweet. Quite a star in posing this little one.

katlupe said...

Paula, you would have loved him! He let us sit right next to him. I think he is too trusting for a baby bird to survive though.