Sunday, July 24, 2011

First Green Bean Harvest Canned

 Four Raised Beds of Green & Wax Beans

As hot and humid, as it has been here in NY, yesterday I canned my first batch of green beans. They were ready and needed to be canned. If not, then our garden would be a waste. So my husband took it upon himself to go out and pick them all by himself. Not only that, but he cut them up for me! That is the hardest part of the whole process. Well, not really hard, but tedious. Picking in the hot sun was no picnic yesterday!

Cut up for the canner!

I canned them using the raw pack method in my Ball Blue Book canning book. I filled the jars with boiling water and put the lids and rims in a pan of hot water. Then I have a pot of hot boiling water that I add to each jar of cut up beans. You may add a teaspoon of salt if you like. As soon as I put the lid and rim on, I put the jar in the pressure canner that is on the stove with simmering water.


After the jars are in the canner,  I tighten the lid and let it exhaust for 10 minutes. I canned it for 25 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure. Shut the burner off when the time is up and let it sit until the pressure has gone done to zero. I take the lid off the canner then and let it sit for about five minutes. Then I remove the jars from the canner with the jar lifter and put them on a thick towel.

Green beans for our food supply!

My finished product of 13 quarts of green beans! These are part of our food supply for the year. My last year's crop gave me enough quarts that we ate about two quarts a week through the year. I still have some left. Now I am replenishing it from this year's harvest! How about you? What have you canned this year so far?


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

 

11 comments:

WorldmedTourism said...

How many day it fresh

katlupe said...

WorldmedTourism, It stays fresh indefinitely. No refrigeration needed! As long as your jars stay sealed there is no worry about it going bad. I have canned foods on my shelf that I canned more than a few years ago.

Paula said...

Kat, great and ever so hard job during this heat! Canning, well I yesterday completed my batch of French Strawberry confiture. Today I am at the tedious task of pitting cherries to turn it into some canned fruit, French cherry confiture and my fave Italian jam recipe cherry jam with balsamico and some black peppers!I did manage to freeze all the bananas! Sliced, frozen flat and then bagged to be able to pile! Have to deal with the existing freezer, right!
Peaches are waiting to be turned into chutney, jam and fruit canning. After my first Winter here I know that I will be missing fruits terribly. Particularly as fruits seem to extremely expensive here!I juice lots of watermelon, carrots, tomatoes and European cucumber for daily juices. If Whole Foods and Harris Teeter would not give away fruits with a tiny spot for 30% of the price, I would not be able to do all what I do now! I am not into green beans yet I do buy plenty of kidney and pinto at the Spanish supermarket. An opportunity to not lose my Spanish while getting my beanies! Love form my heart to yours!

Jim said...

We completed the last picking from my mother-in-law's garden yesterday. I'm off to snipple (cut them on the bias using an antique hand-cranked device that was my grandmother's) them and to can them this afternoon while my wife works on making an embroidery deadline.

Enjoy your blog very much. Am especially interested in anything you've had to say about cooking on a wood cookstove. I've been doing that for 14 years. If you get a chance, we'd love to have you take a look at our blog about wood cookstove cooking. Here's the link: http://woodcookstovecooking.blogspot.com/

Happy canning!

katlupe said...

Wow Paula! And you say I work hard! Sounds like you are working pretty hard yourself. Fruit has gotten to be terribly expensive. Aren't there any farms around you that sell the fruit directly to the public? The ones around here are cheaper than the stores.

Paula said...

Kat, here are many PYO farms, yet they are more expensive then even Whole Foods! I did mange to find an apple orchard though with one of my fave apples. PYO prices are good and end of August it is my time!

Marisa and Brittany said...

Stopping by and following from Blog Frog. I'm your newest follower. Thanks so much for commenting on jump starting your day :o)

Your blog is wonderful and very resourceful. I've tried my hands at canning. I even went so far as to purchase a pressure cooker to can dishes with meat (I make chicken & noodles, beef stew, taco soup...). It will be nice to glean from you! I look forward to it :D

I'd love for you to check us out at Me, You, and Creamed Corn and join us if you'd like.

Marisa
http://www.meyouandcreamedcorn.com/

katlupe said...

Jim, I went to your blog last night and read all your posts. It is awesome! I shared it on my Facebook page. I will be back to it, and will probably mention it in my own posts. You have given me some inspiration to use my pressure canner on my wood cook stove.

katlupe said...

Marisa, Thank you so much! I appreciate you coming to my blog and making a comment. I will go visit your blog today.

Kateri said...

I think New York is getting the heat right now that Michigan had last week.

I grew up in Chenango County. I'm impressed that your havest is coming in so well already. I haven't canned anything fom my garden yet, but judging from the flowers it looks like we will be getting a bumper crop this year. I got my garden planted later than usual this year.

katlupe said...

Wow Kateri! You grew up in Chenango County? Small world.
It has cooled down a bit last night and today. Little bits of rain off and on. Thanks for stopping by my blog!