Sunday, January 22, 2012

What Does Simple Living Mean To You?



What does simple living mean to you? I have been reading a variety of websites and books that proclaim the "simple living" philosophy. The nuts and bolts of most of these books and sites is to get rid of everything you own, except only the things you need to live. So I am asking my readers here, is that what you think it is?

As for myself, I do not own a lot of things. Having moved more than a few things and going through divorce makes you lose things you had. So you end up with less. Then moving into a smaller house that did not have electricity at the time, made me get rid of things I used to have, and then had no use for.

Much of my things are of either necessity or sentimental value. What about you? My next question is how do you rid yourself of the sentimental items? Or do you? And do you have to? Some of mine, I have decided to keep and some, I will get rid of. The only reason I am getting rid of them is that is the only way I can be sure they are going to a home that wants them. If I sell them on eBay, then someone paid money for them so they must want and value them. Right? Not so, when they are inherited by family members who do not.



Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole

3 comments:

Paula said...

Hmm, you inspired me to blog about it too. its an important question though!

http://paulastree.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-is-simple-life.html

yet there is one thing I do not agree with you. If I have some things which hold a very high sentimental value to me, I never would bereave myself of it in the here and now, because after my death some family member might not appreciate it.

katlupe said...

I understand that Paula, as somethings are important to others that may not be to you. For me though, I have no family members to leave some of those things to. Not anyone who would treasure them as I do.

Unknown said...

I was married 53 years before my hubby passed away. In the beginning of those years, we had only enough stuff to live as he was the only one who was working. As we raised our kids, we still had only enough stuff to live. When the kids went off to college, we still had only enough stuff to live. Then the kids became adults, married, and were no longer on our payroll. If anyone thinks I'm getting rid of all the "stuff" I went without nearly all my married life, they have another think coming. I deserve what I have now and it's stayin with me....