Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Family Tree Research Is Fun

South Street Cemetery in Triangle, NY
Family tree research has become a hot thing on the internet. Years ago you had to travel places and go to county clerk offices to beg for old records of your relatives. My husband and I spent hours at the one in Tioga County in New York some years ago. We did uncover a lot of unknown information about his 3 times great grandparents. It took a lot of time and looking through those census records was not easy standing at the tables they were piled on. There were quite a few other people doing the exact same thing. Now though, I have Ancestry and it has made my search easy and fun. It is like a game. Finding the clues to your family tree until it builds and builds.

Lyman P. Strickland, my 3rd Great Uncle, 1849-1938
Researching my husband's family tree on his mother's side was so easy. Their family had a long line and once I got online, it was pretty easy to build the tree. My family I didn't hold out much hope for. I didn't know much about my grandfather or his family. My grandmother was separated from him by the time I came along. I only remember seeing him once in my life and that was on a street corner. How I wish I had gotten to know him! Regardless, I didn't know a thing about his parents or siblings. So off I went to Ancestry to see what I could dig up. I also use Findagrave, but their information on my great grandmother is wrong. They have her maiden name completely wrong. I had to discover that information myself.......which I did.

Sheba "Emma" Decker Strickland, wife my 3rd Great Uncle, 1871-1952
How did I find that information? Not by other people's family trees! Do not depend on their trees for your information. If you find clues there, take them and search for them yourself. It is so sad to see all the wrong information on other trees. For me, I really get attached to these family members I have never met. On Ancestry it is easy to put the person's name in and even if there is a mistake in the spelling or a change over the years, you can usually find them. I have a few that are a brick wall for me, but I never give up hope on them. That is why it is really important to set your trees to public, so they can shared. Why keep them private? I share all, including my photos.

Frank L. Strickland, my 1st cousin 3 times removed, 1896-1930
The whole time I was growing up I heard how bad my grandfather and his family were. Lots of stories which I now believe are rumors, that were made up by....dare I say it? My beloved Grandma? Yes, I think she had bad feelings about her in-laws and didn't get along with them for various reasons. So those stories get passed down through the family and everyone thinks they are true. I even found a cousin of my mother's, and became friends with his wife on Facebook. I have the hope that some day I can meet them in person. So if you haven't started doing your family tree, maybe it is time to get started!





Copyright © 2018 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2018 Kathleen G. Lupole



No comments: