Friday, June 01, 2018

kat's Studio Is My New Home

My New Home!

As the regular readers of this blog know, I have been making plans to change my life. Actually, I have been trying to do it for a number of years now. Finally, I did it. I moved from our Peaceful Forest Homestead on the fifteenth of this month. After living in the middle of the state forest for close to 19 years, do you think it is a big adjustment to live in the downtown area of the city of Norwich, NY? I thought it might be, but no. I find that I love it. It is not a large city, just the right size for me. I have many reasons for leaving and one of the main ones is for my health. In the last few years, well actually since about 2005, I had been having more and more trouble with my legs. All the jobs I always enjoyed doing or helping my husband with, had become impossible. I started facing the facts, that it was time for me to move on. To a different home and by myself. So  I have.

Color is the focal point in my studio!

One of the things I have been interested in is being a "minimalist" but not a hard core one. My apartment, which I refer to as "kat's Studio" is a small studio apartment in an old school that has been converted into apartments. It is only about 338 square feet, I think. It appears to be spacious due to part of it has very high ceilings. I do not feel like I am closed in, but have a lot of space, even though it is above my head. My windows are all on one wall and are quite large also. Three big ones and I love them. They are the focal point of kat's Studio. My studio is all white and I have made it colorful with added color highlights in the decor. Especially my sheers which are very colorful and draw your eye to them as soon as you walk in. They brighten my day all day long, as I love bright colors.

Norwich, NY

I am out of the country life and all things making up the homesteading life. I am right in the downtown area of a small city. About thirteen miles from where I lived. I already knew my city, Norwich, NY, in Chenango County. It has everything I need and one of the things I really love about my move is that I do not need a vehicle for transportation. As soon as I get settled in, I  plan on exploring the various forms of public transportation that are available to me.

I love my electric kitchen!

After having lived so long on an off-the-grid homestead, now having an electric home that is provided by the utility company is a big adjustment for sure. They estimated my power use cost would be about $40.00 a month, and for what I get for that little bit of money is well worth it. I love it all. I can't say I don't. I am now able to use my Instant Pot, my electric blender and mixer and even have a toaster oven now. Every morning I perk my coffee with an electric percolator. Hot weather has long been a very trying time for me. That is one of the reasons I had not been able to enjoy my garden in the recent years. I just could not take it any longer. Now I have a brand new air conditioner I bought and am just waiting for the maintenance man to install mine. He had a bunch to do.

Cooking Chicken for My Keto Supper!

My physical health was suffering terribly over the last few years. There was nothing I could do about it. I tried to follow my Ketogenic diet but often times I could not stick to it. Now living alone I am able to stick to it much easier. It helps to have only that type of food in your house. Then you are not easily lead to the types that are not good for you, like having sugar, MSG, grains, high fructose corn syrup or anything else you do not want to eat. I have to be careful about others bringing me gifts that contain those ingredients, even though I tell them I do not eat sugar or other processed ingredients. Not everyone looks at the labels as closely as I do. Then I feel obligated to eat what they spent their money on, as I am a very frugal person. I am going to work on being better at enforcing anyone bringing me food to understand not to buy things I cannot eat.

Rabbit

I did not move totally by myself. I brought my favorite little boy, my house rabbit, Rabbit, with me. He has taken to the new place happily. I think he loves having carpeting and he is all over the place due to having more room. Not a lot of stuff in the center of the room gives him an area to binky and play and lay stretched out for hours at a time. He is getting a lot more exercise here and that is good for him. I had worried how he would adjust to life here, but not a worry at all. Him and I are bonding more and more and I can actually get down on the floor here due to the carpeting and sit with him. He likes that a lot.

kat's Studio

Now I will be writing about my life here, the life of a sixty plus woman with health issues and her house rabbit and hope you will continue following along my journey living in kat's Studio. If not, I understand after all this was a homesteading blog.




Copyright © 2018 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2018 Kathleen G. Lupole


No comments: