Tuesday, July 18, 2023

The Independent Disabled Lifestyle



Becoming disabled as you get older might be something you cannot do anything about. If that becomes a way of life for you, there are ways to still stay as independent as possible for you. Every situation is different. Your reality may be different from others or your spouse. I urge couples to establish your own care plan even if you are living with your spouse. If something unexpectedly happens to him or her, you will be able to handle your needs. At the very least you will know what you need and how to do it.




When mobility is one of your health issues, as it is for me, there are a number of options available. As most people do, I started with a cane that I used for many years. Sometimes I still use it in my apartment or for taking something downstairs. Most of the time though I use a rolling walker. I wrote about this in a previous post, Disability Independence With A Rolling Walker. What I especially like about this walker is that it has a seat with a bag under it. I can put my purse or camera or whatever I am carrying in the bag. It is also a good safety measure when walking outside where someone could just grab your purse. If I get tired or my legs or knees are hurting I can sit for a spell. It is comfortable and I even use it as my chair when going to someone's home or to any type of event.




I also have a stationary walker that I keep by my bed so I have something to grab onto to get out of bed. It folds up if I need to get it out of the way. Having aids like this can help you get around in your home. I live in a small studio apartment and I have kept it as open as possible. I could use a wheelchair in here if needed. Even in my kitchen and bathroom. My shower has a shower chair in it and I am fortunate to have a large open shower. So I could go from a wheelchair into my shower with no problem at all.



When I moved here five years ago I chose not to own a vehicle. I figured living downtown I could walk everywhere. Well that was my plan but my ability to walk around is severely limited now. I can use the walker to get to some places but not all. The grocery store is farther than I can go with the walker. So I got a mobile chair, which I call "Jazzy" and it has been a lifesaver. I can drive to the store and back as quickly as if I had a car. Last year I had to have the tires and the front casters replaced as well as new batteries. Those expenses remind me to be careful on the city sidewalks and streets. People probably wonder why I am always looking down in front of me. I am watching for potholes, rocks, glass and other debris that is on the sidewalk in front of me. 




With a mobile chair or scooter you must be very careful because it is like driving a bicycle, car or motorcycle. You don't want to go too fast and hit something or someone. Do not look around while moving and make sure you are looking in the direction you are driving. I always slow up before a driveway or an ally because someone could be coming out of it real fast. I had to stop suddenly when a bicycle came out of an ally that was next to a big building and rarely used. Unexpected! I stopped in time. There is a hidden drive into a parking lot to city hall along my route to the store. There is a large bush hiding it and if you don't know it is there it is dangerous. The bush hides you coming down the sidewalk so cars pulling out don't expect you. They can see the street looking both ways. So just be cautious. 




In my apartment I keep "Jazzy" in the bathroom in front of the shower. When I take a shower I have to move it a little ways away from the shower toward the sink. That means turning it on and moving it. I do not do it by sitting on it but standing in front of it. So moving it toward me could be dangerous if I was not paying attention. If I ran over my foot that would be one of the worst things I could imagine happening! Always watch your feet!! I charge it with the battery charger every time I have used it to go anywhere. Just plug it in after I get back home. That way it is always charged and ready to use.




The design of my small studio apartment is perfect for a disabled person and that is what they had in mind for all the apartments in my building. Not all of them are alike and the ones that seem the easiest to get around in are the studios. I believe I have taken things a step further in the way I use things and the aids I buy to assist me. Keeping an open floor plan is very important. So no coffee tables or unnecessary pieces of furniture in the way. No electric cords across the floor. Simple and easy is my motto! 




Copyright © 2023 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2023  Kathleen G. Lupole


 

No comments: