Friday, April 29, 2011

Flood Watch In Oxford, NY!

Bridge In Oxford, NY

Yesterday, we had to go to Oxford to pick up our horses' feed and so I could mail some packages from some sales I had. So with all this rain and storms we have been getting, I was wondering if the river had flooded. It floods pretty often there, but I have never seen it over the road. I am sure it probably has gone over the road at some point in time, but not when I was driving through.



The Chenango River In Oxford, NY

As you can see the river is up pretty high. The current is strong. I saw a lot of tree branches floating by. With the winds we have been getting also, the trees are falling over, roots and all. So quite a bit of debris floating by.




Two ducks who lost their nest!
I don't know if you can see them or not, but in the middle of this photo are two ducks, who were swimming around near the other shore. I tried to crop it so I could get a better shot of them. They lost their nest when the water came up so high. Ever since, they have been looking for it. The people at the feed store pointed it out to me.

Farmer's cornfield flooded!

This cornfield is flooded pretty much every year. So I guess it doesn't make a difference. They grow corn here and make it into livestock feed and sell it right here in town.
A field between the road and the river!

This field is right next to the road. It is not the river. But it is next to the river. And you can see it looks like the river. Pretty full right now. This poor tree has survived the flooding many times over.



On the river bank!
This area is directly behind the convenience store where we buy our gas. I stood right on the bank snapping pictures. It looks pretty, but the river can be pretty deadly. It is not always so dirty. That is due to the rain stirring up the dirt on the bottom.



Rivers get muddy with so much rain!  


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat, on the other side I very often heard about all the natural phenomena in the USA. Well, obviously mankind made it worse. Yet being here makes me feel pretty much exposed to a new way of dealing with climate changes and its affect of nature/ strengthening nature's force to rampage. Paula xxx

katlupe said...

It is something we have to deal with every spring. There is always flooding here at this time of the year. But where we live, the flooding doesn't affect our house. Just have to drive through it.