Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The Top Five Ways to Be Self-Sufficient and Save Money

Today Kirsten Cavaliere is writing a guest post for Homesteading On The Internet. It is the first time I have had a guest post on my blog. She has some good ideas for living in these tough times. Seems like it keeps getting worse every time I read the news. ~ katlupe



As food, oil, gas, and other resources rise in cost, more and more Americans are taking an interest in learning to become self-sufficient and save much needed money. There are a lot of simple, clever, and creative ways to rely less on others to take care of yourself and your loved ones.

1. Grow Your Own Food

You don’t have to have a large plot of land, a big yard, or experience gardening to grow your own food to feed your family. There is wealth of free information on planting techniques for a small garden in your back yard, or even container garden inside.

Try asking lots of questions to workers in greenhouses or nurseries when you shop for supplies. There are also a variety of forums where thousands of homesteaders are ready to field your questions about maintaining a small garden. Keep trying, and you’ll have fresh, organic produce for you and your family to enjoy! When you harvest, eat all you can, then freeze or can the rest to eat during the winter months.

2. Sew Your Own Clothing

This is a great way to take up a fun, new hobby, save money, and be more self-sufficient all at the same time. Sewing even an article of clothing from scratch can be challenging, especially for beginners. But, even beginners can easily learn to mend or patch clothing to make it last longer, hem up you own clothes, attach new buttons, make curtains to cover windows, oven mitts, pillows, or other fashion accessories.

Sewing is not just a way to save money, but could also be a way to bring in some extra part time income. If you sell some of your sewing handiwork or services you could find some extra breathing room in your finances.

3. Become ‘Mr.’ or ‘Ms. Fix It’

Fixing your home or your car can be a huge expense that can take a bundle out of your budget. Why depend on someone else to fix everything for you? Most people have tools just laying around the house that are only rarely used in a pinch. You don’t have to be an expert mechanic or handyman; you just have to be willing to learn the skills to fix whatever is needed.

There are many small tasks that anyone can do to maintain their vehicle and home. There are repair manuals for every type of car available, and there are books about rudimentary home repair at most libraries for free.

4. Learn to Cook From Scratch

Cooking from scratch is not just cheaper and more self-sufficient, but if you use the right materials it is also healthier and free of any harmful preservatives or chemicals. There is joy to be had in producing something delicious and healthy that you and your family can consume and feel good about.

5. Fight For Your Debt Freedom

As the saying goes, “the borrower is slave to the lender,” and until you become debt free you will not truly be self-sufficient. Those who strive to live frugally can use the money they save and channel it towards paying off their debt.

Try calling your creditors and asking for lower interest rates. If you’ve paid on time they are likely to lower them or offer a faster repayment plan so you can get debt free sooner. If you have multiple, high interest debts, then research a debt consolidation or credit counseling service and see if they can help you.
Written by Kirsten Cavaliere of  DebtConsolidation.com.

27 comments:

Annie said...

Good post! As I read it, I remember back to my grandparent's (immigrants) generation. They did all of these things.

It is a shame that so much of this knowledge is not even known at all by folks today.

katlupe said...

It is good advice. I read today that packaging is going to be getting EVEN smaller and the prices will be rising!

Anna said...

Good advice and so much is forgotten today. We have become accustomed to convenience, whether it's food, clothing, or entertainment; we want it RIGHT NOW! I think this economy is teaching us how to get back to the basics and will help teach our kids that sometimes we have to wait for what we want and most things are worth the wait.

Deb said...

Good ideas. We are starting our own garden this year...we even bought some chickens so we can have fresh eggs.

Another tip: We use cash for everything. NOTHING goes on a credit card. If we can't afford to buy it we don't get it.

Lori said...

This is some great advice, Kristen. The one thing I've always had trouble with is sewing my own clothes. I'm just not that talented. When my daughter was younger I used to sew her t-shirt dresses. I'd buy t-shirts on clearance at Wal-Mart, usually for less than $1 and then I'd buy material. I sewed the material to the end of the t-shirt and whala...she'd have a t-shrit dress. But that's as far as my sewing talent goes.

carol l mckenna said...

Good Advice for sure ~ ^_^ ~ Great Idea!

Michelle-Nicholle said...

Great guest post! I follow all five of her suggestions. I think the one that has benefited our family the most is growing our own food. I have two large plots that we can eat from and can a lot towards the end of the season for the winter. We eat healthier and spend less at the store. We need to come back to these ways and not get stuck in convenience. Visiting from Blog Frog!

Kifayat said...

Hi, I think the economy worldwide has led a lot of people back to the basics. I watched a program the other day of a woman who cooks most of her food from the scratch and saves a lot in the process. Very practicable tips - Thanks.

Sonia said...

This was a good post. It's nice to be reminded of the simple things we can do to keep more money in our pocket. My boyfriend and I was just talking about growing our own vegetables to save on stuff we use allot. Cooking from scratch is a great idea, but I am terrible at cooking and he takes over the moment I start cooking fries. I will have to work on that one. I am on the road to also becoming debt free and managing my credit better.

Rachel @ Little Kitchen, Big Bites said...

Those are great ideas! As soon as Hubby and I buy a house, I definitely want to start growing our own food in the back yard and then using it to cook from scratch. Not only does it save money, but it's healthier too. Thanks for the advice!

Unknown said...

great pointers for hard times...don't know if i have it in me to learn to cook from scratch but willing to learn

Kenya said...

The soaring gas prices should really scare people. What if you didn't have money to go to the gas station. What if the grocery stores run out of food. I believe growing our own food is a great idea! Cooking for ourselves goes without saying...EVERYONE should know how to cook.

Unknown said...

These are good specific examples of how to save, another great method of saving is to prioritize saving. Change your identity to include 'a person who saves' and a person who is doing everything they can to provide for their future.

Once you identify yourself as a person who doesn't throw money away, all of these other tips will either come naturally to you or you embrace them with vigor.

Teri said...

Lots of good advice. My husband and I follow several of these suggestions, and they have really made our lives so much better. Thanks for a great guest post.

Unknown said...

Great post. Get back to the old ways!

~Kimberly said...

Those are great ideas! Our family has been trying to cut back, so we cancelled some unnecessary services with our Cable, I try to plan out meals so we arent' tempted to eat out for meals, and I've been trying to 'coupon' a little!

Di Hill said...

Good ideas. I do like to grow my own vegies, and I cook from scratch - but would love to live in a nice place far from the city. Good post.

JATunnell said...

Another good way to save if your not on good terms with a sewing machine is to hit the thrift stores. When my kids were little, the only new clothing that I would buy them is underwear and shoes. All their other clothing was bought from thrift stores or hand me downs from neighbors.

SassyCat3000 said...

Good post and very simple advise for one to follow. I remember my grandparents and think how spoiled I have become and really should get back to the "simple" life. I think I have fallen into the mind set of "instant gratification"..wanting everything NOW. This post really makes me think. Thanks!!!

Chloe said...

These are all good and simple ideas to help save money especially for full time stay-at-home moms. I have found that kids are much more likely to eat vegetables they have grown themselves, too.

hands-on learning said...

Great ideas.

Another idea: recycle water more intensively.

I have a friend who inexpensively set up a system where her bath water goes to water the garden, and she collects rainwater for cleaning, etc around the house.

Haddock said...

Agree on all the points (except maybe on point #2, as I will have to learn stitching from scratch)
Point # 1 is some thing which all can follow and its so satisfying.

Heavenly Bodies said...

This is great advice and for those who are not this it is time to start. One thing I never thought about was sewing my own clothes this is because I am not very good at it. But, we do plant a garden every year and my husband is a financial genius and we just recently brought our van payment down to 2k from 4k in a matter of months by paying on the principal. We should have it paid off no later than June 2012 if life doesn't rear it's ugly head.

Unknown said...

Great post. I'm not sure when I stopped doing all that. It would be nice if my grown kids could live more like the old days instead of running around all day.

Unknown said...

I love your blog. since I used to garden, I am wondering how to garden in Colorado. the back yard is rocks. Any ideas? Malika

Anonymous said...

Great post! Living on one income, we are always looking for ways to save our pennies. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I'm doing well on all but the first one...I just don't have a green thumb. It's not even brown...it's wilted! Wonderful article.