Sunday, April 03, 2011

Gardening Season Is Beginning At Peaceful Forest!

Squash & Pumpkin Plants 2010
Today finally feels like spring! Waking up to hearing the birds sing makes you ready to get out of bed in the morning. Like they are saying, "Hurry up sleepy head, the day is waiting!" The first thing that runs through my mind is digging in my raised beds. But I can't. Not yet.

Raised Beds in backyard  2010
I have been transplanting many of my seedlings already. They grew so fast that it was hardly worth starting them in the little flats. It is sadly too cold yet, in fact, our ground is still frozen and much of it is still snow covered. I will have strong little plants to put in the ground when I can.

Squash Blossom 2010
New York gardeners around here usually plan to get their gardens in on Memorial Day week-end. My father who has been gardening for most of his life doesn't even start his seeds until April first. By starting mine earlier though, when I put the plants in, it is like the gardeners who purchase plants instead of seeds. It gives you a head start on the harvest. We get vegetables earlier than usual. With our weather here in NY that is a good idea!

Rich Compost!
 Are you getting your garden in? I know many of my readers here are in a warmer climate than I am. So I hope you got a good start already. Happy spring!





 Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole







6 comments:

~Deb~ said...

Like you I have started seeds but it is still too cold to plant outdoors. I think the last freeze around here is the middle of April so we will see but, I am hardly able to wait, it is 74 degrees here today and it is tempting to get out there and get things started.

katlupe said...

74 degrees! Our temps aren't that warm yet. We will have to wait till probably May.

Teresa Robeson said...

Hubby started some cool weather crops mid March (lettuce, spinach, etc) and some inside a week later (onions and tomatoes). :) It's so much fun to start planting, isn't it?

Deb said...

I'm so excited for spring to get here. Sadly, it snowed again here yesterday and they are predicting more today. I'm starting my seeds indoors this week. Very excited about that! We don't plant our gardens until Memorial weekend either. Even then we still have frost warning and have to cover the garden at night. Oh,we are adding chickens to our little itty bitty homestead this year as well. Keeping fingers crossed that goes well.

Lori said...

Spring is a fun time of year. I don't start gardening until the very end of May becuase here in Colorado we almost always get a last blast of winter late in the year. Sometimes I do potting which I can bring in my garage if weather hits.

I love reading your posts for gardening. You always offer great tips. Happy gardening and Happy Spring. :)

katlupe said...

I think by starting your seeds at least you get in the spring time frame of mind. So even if you have snow, it seems like spring if you are digging in dirt and planting seeds. Thanks for visiting and leaving comments!