Thursday, April 07, 2011

Healthy Low Carb Eating

Salad is essential for low carbing!
I remember so many years ago I would go on a diet to lose weight and be so hungry that finally I'd break down and eat a lot of the foods I was craving. I didn't realize what was happening to me. Why couldn't I stick with it? And when I did, why couldn't I lose weight? At Weight Watchers they said I was a slow loser. Yet I was starving and exercising. In fact, in my home I had a home gym. I belonged to the local racket ball club and was a regular on the exercise equipment. I loved working out with weights and did that all the time. I also did race walking and did it on local tracks as well as the indoor track at the racket ball club. What was wrong with me? I didn't have a lot of weight to lose so it didn't seem to me that it should be so impossible.


Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
 In 2008, as I told in my previous post, Back To Low Carbing, I lost twelve pounds in my first week following Atkins. Unheard of for me ever in my whole life! So I was converted for life by that major feat. Life gets in the way sometimes. I stuck to it very well for over a year and did so well. What made me slide? Could be that I did not always having the right foods in the house. Could be that at times I wanted a quick meal. Ordering a pizza or Chinese food was easy. Yet, I KNEW in my brain it was not good for my health.

So what makes you stick with low carbs? The health benefits are undeniable. Not being hungry is a big plus for me. Having good meals with lots of food is another plus, not to mention the variety. Can't have bread? Big deal. It is just a filler anyway, as pasta, rice and potatoes are also. That is why everyone cooks and eats it. It fills everyone up.

Cheeseburger & Salad Low Carb Style!
 Someone on The BlogFrog mentioned that a hamburger without a bun is boring. Not for me! I try to make it look good, as well, as be part of a meal that is good. For one thing, I make good sized burgers and buy good quality ground beef. I season it liberally with Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. I put it on a plate full of salad with dressing, and mayo on the side for my burger. It is a very delicious and meal I really do enjoy.

Just make sure you choose salad dressings that have low carbs. Always check the sugar. Hopefully it won't be the first ingredient in the list.  Eating salad almost daily is something that keeps me on my plan. Salad is our favorite side dish. We eat it every day and never get tired of it. I grow most of my salad vegetables all summer in my garden. Love those salads the best! If you have never gardened that is a good place to start.

Have you tried a low carb eating plan? What caused you to stray from it? What didn't you like about it?  There are many myths about it, but now, you can dispel them by checking some of the low carb sites and forums. Even allopathic professionals are prescribing low carbs these days. It is a great way to eat!

Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

 

12 comments:

Sonia said...

I tried Atkins back in the day and lost a ton of weight too. I gained it back, but it taught me how to look at labels more and to not eat so much processed food.

I started eating more cleaner lately and so far so good. Thanks for sharing this because I remember struggling with eating my favorite foods (BREAD) and I live with a bread whore now (boyfriend) so at times, I have to remind him, "I am not having the bread today". Either way, I am trying and that's all I can do.

Unknown said...

I love cheeseburgers without the bun. Great post.

Pam's Pride said...

Low carb totally works for me too! I just have a hard time sticking with it! It seems like as soon as I have ANY carbs I crave them and then I get back on the vicious carb cycle again. But if I can stick with it and exercise I can drop 10 pounds in a month.

Bev's Urban Garden said...

Just looking at that plate is convincing enough. That looks yummy.

berryvine said...

On the second week of the induction now. I am a slow looser too. I have not lost much but cutting carbs doesn't change my diet by much. I am not a bread and sweet eater. My blood sugar drops around 3pm but I feel fine until then. I have lost 2lbs where my husband has lost 20. He is a carb eater though.

Karen Greenberg said...

That cheeseburger plate looks fantastic. I think it's time to go eat dinner!

Bev said...

I sort of do the low carb thing because I've never been much of a bread eater anyway. But when I was making more of an effort I felt like we ate chicken, chicken, and more chicken. Do you feel like you get stuck in a rut with the meat in your meals? Plus I kind of missed my casseroles with pasta in them because they made good leftovers to pack in my lunch.

katlupe said...

It's great to see so many comments that don't put low carbs down. Many people still think it is not good for you. I laugh at that because I see it working for me.

Bev, I guess I am a real meat lover so I never feel deprived. I feel deprived if I can't have it.

I have changed all my casseroles over to low carbs. For breadcrumbs or breading I use almond meal or golden flax seed meal. For flour I use the coconut flour (my husband loves it on the chicken!) or the meals. For pasta, they now have several good low carb ones or you can use fresh vegetables as I do in the zucchini lasagna. Or you can cut it in strips and use it that way. spaghetti squash too will work. I guess I will have to write a post about it.

Sharon Huffman said...

Years ago when told I was hypoglycemic I lost a bunch of weight doing Atkins (still have that original book!), then got sidetracked. It's high time I get back to healthy eating, so thanks for the reminder about how tasty the food can be now that we have so many options. Even restaurants have a few low carb items these days!

Lori said...

I eat veggie burgers without the bun all the time. And I too just love salads.

So I just asked my son to go to your blog on his computer and it loaded just fine. It's on my side and I can't figure out why, but for some reason your background of trees is prominent and the words are impossible to read unless I highlight them. My son is going to look at my computer when he's done with his work, cause this is one blog I need/love to visit! :)

Marmee's Pantry said...

We did the Adkins Diet several years ago, lost a lot, gained back most. It's def a life-style change to stick w/it. I work in the health food industry, now, & we've had an influx of ppl going on the HCG diet (which has been pulled off the shelves by the gov't for an investigation, now). Personally, hearing a couple of ladies I work w/who are doing it & ppl who came in to buy the HCG, it simple sounds like modified Adkins to me. Plus - ANYONE can lose weight if you only eat 500 calaries a day!

But I go for moderation in most things &, even though I am a big baker, I still generally eat lower carbs just to maintain. And even when we did the Adkins Diet, we took Sunday's "off" & had anything we wanted...it worked out great for us & still does. It's our Day of Jubilee! lol

By the way, your zucchini lasagna looks awesome!

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

katlupe said...

Thanks for your comments! And reading my blog today!!

Lori, I am glad you figured that out. I tried to see what could have caused that problem. I am not good at figuring out that kind of stuff from this end.