Monday, April 25, 2011

New Life Around Peaceful Forest Homestead

Tiger lilies along our road!

It is a sure sign that spring is here when the tiger lilies start showing their little heads. I love to see them knowing that in July they will be full and thick, and showing off their beautiful orange flowers. But this is how they look when they first start out.



What many people don't know about them is that you can eat them. Yes, especially these little shoots in spring. They can be added to salad or cooked like asparagus. In the summer you can eat the flowers. They can also be dipped in batter and fried.




For the past week the paddock is very muddy. The horses have not been coming in to the barn except for a drink and then heading back out. It is very hard for my husband feeding them out there as he has to walk through deep mud. They find little islands and stand there hoping he will bring their food to them. He scatters the hay around though, so they do have to move to get to that.



The lawn is very green and trees are budding. But the lawn is very soft so I try not to walk on it too much. Soon it will be all soaked in and and I will be planting my plants in my garden. I can't wait for that. It is my favorite thing to do.

Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

3 comments:

teekaroo said...

I'm just waiting for some warm weather to get some things planted. I can't wait for the garden to get going!

The Daily Wife said...

I am SO excited to have found your blog!! I am looking forward to following and your outdoor ideas. I am going to try a container garden this year. We live in NV and I love the idea of being able to eat what you find available, however I'm a little freaked out about eating something poisoness....remember, "Into The Wild" movie? How did the indians know what to eat? Trial and error? If you didn't die, eat it again?...lol

katlupe said...

teekaroo, I know that feeling so well. But the last couple of days our temps have improved.