Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spring Rain Turns Everything Green


The Backyard

I worried about not getting enough snow or rain earlier this year. Shouldn't have even thought about it. We are getting plenty of rain now (NY). The lawn is growing as fast as my husband mows it. I am not kidding! He is mowing it weekly with barely five days between each mowing. Our area is known for lots of rain, and the areas around us suffer from flooding almost every year. I hope that is not the case this year. Living in the state forest though means we do not get flooded. I am thankful for that.

The Drive-Way

It is a happy time for us, seeing the leaves come back on the trees. The seeds I put in the garden earlier this year did not do well. Our freezing temperatures must have got them, even though they were cold weather plants. The peas seem to be the only ones so far I see coming up. Maybe some of the others will come up but I am not counting on it. We normally plant our garden in late May and early June. It is just that this year, so far, I did not start my seeds like I usually do.


The Horses' Paddock

We have had some pressing issues here and that is my only excuse for not starting seeds early enough. If I get some time, I might start some seeds in the next few days and see what I get. Many times I have planted seeds directly in the garden and got a good harvest. So I am not too worried about it right now. I have plenty of seeds for this year's garden so I can start at anytime. Our lettuce is coming up already and with this rain, I am sure we will  be eating fresh salad in a matter of days.

Callie







Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: