Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stir-Fry Is A Versatile Meal

Homemade Stir-Fry

Home made stir-fry is something I like to make for supper. It is one of the best meals you can have. Full of vitamins and minerals. If you do not want to add meat, you don't have to. If you have a family member or friend for dinner who does not eat meat, it is simple to put some in a separate dish after the vegetables have fried, before you add the meat. Just about any vegetable will work. As Burger King used to say, "Have it your way!"

Vegetables Stir frying

I do not use a wok, but most people do. I like to make my stir fry on the wood cook stove using a very heavy cast iron skillet. I should have used the cast iron chicken fryer for more room in the pan. It was kind of packed in. Get your fire real hot and heat the pan to hot before you put any food in. When you are frying the various vegetables and meats, move them around a lot. Shove them from one side of the pan to the next. That is how you will get the best results. I like to burn my carrots a little bit to bring the sweetness out. When you cut the carrots, slice them at an angle to make them cook even better.

Raw Chicken


Cut up all the vegetables at the same time. Then cut the chicken into small chunks. I used olive oil on this particular stir-fry. I many times will use sesame or peanut oil. It depends on what you feel like. Each oil will give you a different taste. Pour the oil in the hot pan, then start adding vegetables. Add the thickest ones first. I usually add carrots first, then broccoli and then the others. The only vegetables I use that are canned are the bean sprouts, water chestnuts and sometimes the baby corn. I always add bean sprouts and water chestnuts in whatever stir-fry I make.  Add whatever type of vegetables your family likes.The sky is the limit!



Frying on the open burner


Add the chicken or whatever meat you are using last. Stir fry it moving it around so it cooks good. Then cover it for about ten minutes. You can purchase a variety of sauces in the oriental section of the grocery store. I usually just add some soy sauce and sprinkle it all over the top. Then let it set in the pan for about five minutes. I sometimes will include fresh garlic, ginger root or sesame seeds. If you add any of them, cook them in the beginning, stir frying them with just the carrots or whatever is first.


Mmmm! Good!


Most people serve stir-fry with rice. We don't since we don't eat rice anymore. I thought I would miss it, but it surprised me how good it was without the rice. It was very good and my family loved it. There was no leftovers!







Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole

3 comments:

Mary Bennett said...

It also tastes good with very thin spaghetti . Yum!!!

Gypsy Angel said...

Looks yummy. I love making stir-fry.

The Redhead Riter said...

HAPPY Thanksgiving!!!! {{{hugssss}}}