Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Appreciating My Luxurious Bathroom

A bathroom is important!

A bathroom is something most people take for granted now. Running water. Electricity. The pump to run the water to your kitchen and bathroom. The pipes to bring it to each room. A water heater to give you an option of a hot shower or hot dishwater. How nice! There are people around the world who live without that convenience. I am sure most of my readers knew that. Poorer countries might not have that in everyone's homes. In the United States though, there are a good amount of people living without those things. I used to be one of them. If I had not moved last year, I would still be living without it and other conveniences as well.

A shower is a luxury when you have lived without!

That first night in my apartment, when I took my first shower, I cried. Yes, I really did! It was such a luxury for me! To feel the hot water spray on me, made me feel so clean. I am thankful that I had this opportunity to move on and live a normal life after almost 20 years. I live in a studio or efficiency apartment now, which means it is one room living. Very small! Yet this bathroom is the biggest bathroom I have ever had. Even when I lived in a big house. It is set up for the disabled and believe me that has made my life so much easier. I can do so much more for myself now. I don't even feel disabled or crippled which is the way I thought of myself before.


Shower chair is a must have!

One of the first things I bought was a shower chair. I knew I was going to need it and I certainly did. I know I could not have stood for the whole shower. It makes it easier to wash and condition my hair. I can even take my time doing it because I am sitting down. I would recommend this to anyone with a big shower that has room for it. Even if you are not disabled, it is very handy and you can sit on it while you dry your feet, legs and arms. This chair was not very expensive. I purchased it on Amazon for about $69. or so. I can't remember exactly. But it is worth every cent!

Freestanding shelf holds a lot within easy reach!

My shower has plenty of room for my soap, shampoos, conditioners, facial cleanser and whatever else I want. I choose to use a freestanding shelf in the corner because it is easier for me to reach it when sitting in the chair. My shoulders give me a hard time when I have to reach up for anything. So it was better for me to have the shampoo and soap in the corner on the floor. I love it. If I can't reach something, I can always move the chair closer.


3 grab bars give you something to hold onto.


An apartment for the disabled is designed with fall prevention in mind. That is the most important thing and especially in the bathroom. I think more people fall in there than anywhere else. You can see in my photos that I have three very sturdy grab bars. They are solid. I can pull myself up on one if I need to. The only bad thing in the whole bathroom is the marble threshold from the shower to the room. If it is wet it will get very slippery. I have always been aware of it and never step on it. Nor do I ever take hold of the towel bar. That is not solid and I do not want to pull it out of the wall either.


Adding color to the bathroom is easy!

I ordered my shower curtain from eBay when I was certain in my mind that I would be moving to this apartment. I kept it in the box it came in and dreamt about how it was going to look. It was not that much money so I didn't expect it to be exceptional, just functional. Well, this shower curtain made my day when I put it up! I loved it then and I still love it now. Sometimes I think I should order a second one in case anything happens to this one. I love colorful rooms and this makes my bathroom special. I love going in to take a shower or get ready to go out in front of my mirror. Living with color makes me happy! And living with running water and a luxurious shower makes me even happier! My bathroom may not look luxurious to you, but to me, it definitely is!




Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole

2 comments:

Sandy's Unsweetened Tea Cup said...

great ideas.

dreaming in maine said...

Gratitude often comes from perspective gained from moments when we lacked the blessings we now have. So happy for your much-loved shower!