Sunday, September 01, 2019

Northeast Classic Car Museum

1912 Metz Roadster

Recently I went to the Northeast Classic Car Museum. Actually, my boyfriend, Sonny and I drove to it on our mobility chair and scooter from my home. The people who work there held the door for us and were very friendly welcoming us. I have always had an interest in cars and seeing all these cars was a great way to spend our day. For many years, I have wanted to go there and never had the opportunity. Well, Sonny is a classic "motorhead" and it didn't take long to put that idea in his head. In fact, he had two tickets to it that he won in a raffle ten years ago! He called there and asked if the tickets would still be good and that assured him they would be. He also checked with them to see if it was disabled friendly and that we could use our chair and scooter. So we knew it was something we could do.


1931 Cadillac

If you are interested in spending a day at the Northeast Classic Car Museum, the address is 24 Rexford Street (NYS Route 23) in Norwich, NY. The telephone number is (607) 334-2886. The admission price is $12.00 for adults, $5.00 for students and children under 5 are free. The museum is open 7 days a week from 9 to 5. It is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. They have scooters you can use or plenty of room to bring your own. It is all on one floor with benches to sit on to take a rest. It is big! So plan on spending a few hours there. I asked in advance if I could bring my camera and take pictures and that was fine with them. Just not for commercial purposes. This blog is not commercial at all. There were other people taking pictures too, so I was not the only one.


I call her Susie

They have over 170 automobiles with more than 25 motorcycles. That is a lot to see! There are also other displays through out the museum. I really enjoyed seeing the period clothing worn by the life like models. Like I said, I had wanted to come here and drove by it all the time. For years! I'd see that parking lot packed full of cars and wondered why so many people would come to a museum in Norwich. Now I see. It is a learning experience for sure. Now Sonny knew all about the cars but I didn't. He was like my own private guide. I think they bring different displays in from time to time and promote those. I would love to see them bring in a display of race cars through the years. If there is such a thing.


One of the halls of cars!

My father was a car mechanic and talked about cars all the time. In fact, when he died and I went through his things, he had a list of every car he had owned. I kept that. He talked about his old cars all the time and had great stories to tell about each one. He would have enjoyed this museum and I wish more than anything I had taken him there to see it. It opened in 1997. If you have a father or anyone in your family who loved those old cars, make a point of taking them to see the museum now, while they can enjoy it. It will be a memory for you, that will last the rest of life after they are gone. Good for children too, to learn about how the automobile has changed.


Some Motorcycles on Display

There is also displays of motorcycles through out the museum. I have always been partial to Harleys but there are others here also. So if you have an interest in them, you may enjoy seeing these old bikes. I am pretty sure Sonny and I will go back again. For twelve dollars, it is a bargain indeed. Most places charge double that! 

Sonny on his "Spitfire" scooter.




Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole



No comments: