Monday, September 02, 2019

My Mobility Chair, Jazzy 600ES

Jazzy


I have mentioned my mobility chair a few times since I got it earlier this year. I call it Jazzy because that is the manufacturer's model name for it. It is made by Puritan Mobility and is model #600ES. It is electric and has a battery that I plug into the charger to charge. Jazzy is very dependable. Once I learned how to use it and got over my fear of being out on the streets with it, I love it. It is made for indoor and outdoor use and can handle the uneven sidewalks we have here in NY. I even travel over railroad tracks with it pretty often! People in motor vehicles are courteous to me and will stop the traffic at the crosswalk and wave me on. Once I felt comfortable and safe on Jazzy, it has become my favorite way to travel. It is not only allowing me my freedom and independence...........but it is FUN also! Yes, you can have fun in your sixties too!


Charging

My apartment is pretty small, being a studio or efficiency apartment. So every bit of space is important to be used wisely. I keep Jazzy in the bathroom in front of the shower and just take it out of there while I am showering. It can be stored in another room if you have a house or a larger apartment. It is important to keep it near an electrical outlet so you can charge it overnight. It is convenient to charge because you do not have to remove your battery. Just plug the charger into Jazzy and into the wall. There are two lights on the charger, a red light and a green light that comes on as soon as you plug it in. The green light shows that it is charging and the red light shows it is not charged yet. When it is charged the red light will turn green and you then see two green lights. 



Jazzy's Charger

The charger is plugged into the electrical outlet and the chair. When I first got it though, I looked all over Jazzy trying to find where the heck to plug it in. Finally I went to the manufacturer's website and found their manual that I was able to print out. Found the plug! It was easy after that. I read the information in the manual about how to safely drive Jazzy and it really helped me while I was learning. I wasn't stressed anymore about crossing the busy intersection near my home. It explained how to maneuver over rough terrain, curbs and inclines. I keep it handy so I can check it out after I have found myself in a situation that is hard to travel. I have been able to go everywhere so far though.


Plugged In!

The plug for the charger is built right in under the control on the arm. I usually plug it in at night before I go to bed and it is charged by the time I get up. I do not think it takes very long. Of course, I have never let it lose its charge. If it does, when you are bringing it back home you will have to get someone to push it for you. I wonder if you can't walk at all, if you can call 911 for assistance? Sonny's scooter lost its charge the day we went to the car museum and he had to push it. He had periods after pushing it that the battery would get a little bit of a charge and he could ride a little. It had no real charge though. I find with Jazzy that if I shut it off and wait a few minutes, it will bring the charge up a little. Whenever I have to sit and wait somewhere, I turn it right off.


Jazzy is sturdy and well made!

One of the things I love about Jazzy is the fact that it makes zero turns. I can turn it around in my bathroom or in a tight grocery aisle. Really! Like those fancy zero turning lawnmowers! Jazzy comes with this special patented Mid-wheel 6® technology and Active-® ATX suspension which makes that possible. If it increases the price of buying one, I would say to go for it. It is worth every penny! I did not buy mine new, but it was well cared for and I'd say it is like new. The casters on the front and back help to prevent the wheels from hanging up. Just takes a bit of practice and you will be traveling.


Jazzy's Control Panel

The top control is the on and off button as well as the battery charge. In this photo it is at full charge. The bottom control is the speed and the horn. Turtle speed is of course, slow. The rabbit is fast speed and it does go fast. If you are considering one of these mobility chairs, you really should check Jazzy out. I love it and think it is the best!

Note: This is NOT a paid post. I am just a happy Jazzy owner.





Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: