Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Cologuard Home Colon Cancer Screening

Cologuard Instructions

This year my physician discussed colon cancer screening with me. She ordered the Cologuard Collection Kit for a home colon test instead of ordering the invasive colonoscopy. This test is manufactured by Exact Sciences in Madison, WI and comes in the mail to your home. My doctor said it is for patients over 50 years of age who have an average risk for colon cancer. If your test comes back positive then your physician will order a colonoscopy for further testing. This kit must be prescribed by your physician to receive it.


Inside the box

When I opened the box I didn't know what to expect. Every component of the kit was enclosed in a sterile bag together. It is important, though I didn't know it at the time, to keep the box in the same condition as it was when you opened it. That way it is easier to ship back to Exact Sciences. When you pack it for the return shipping, everything except the bracket goes back into the blue bag. The bracket you do not have to return. Important to leave the bag attached to the inside of the shipping box!


The Cologuard Collection Kit

The kit consists of four pieces, as shown in the photo above. Do not do the test when you are ill or having a bout of diarrhea or an active bleeding hemorrhoid. The test is not really messy or gross to do. It takes just a few minutes of your time. I scheduled my UPS pick up for the next day, so in the morning I did my test. I did the test and shipped it quickly. My doctor was impressed that I did it as soon as I received it. A week later I received a letter from Exact Sciences to remind me to do it, but it had already been done and shipped out. Must be a computer generated letter, since most people let it sit there not really wanting to do it.


What's Inside

The Cologuard Collection Kit consists of instructions, bracket, container, tube and the preservative. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. The most important thing is to do your test when you know it can be picked up by UPS that day or the next day. The shipping quickly thing is very important! The 2 day shipping cost is included with the prescription. My insurance paid for it so I am not aware of the cost. I checked on their website and didn't see the price anywhere.


The Bracket in Place.

The bracket fits inside your toilet to hold the container. Remove the lid and put the container into the bracket near the back. No handling of anything but the container at this point. Be careful not to get any urine in the container.


The container with top on.

This photo is the container with the top on. As you can see it will fit into the bracket with the top off. Once you are finished, make sure you lock the top in place. But....you are NOT finished yet! There is a couple more things you have to do. So do not put the top back on yet.


Tube with Probe inside

You were probably wondering what this tube was for. Well, I know I said you didn't have to touch anything, but.......... open the tube and using the probe smear a bit of the stool on it, then put the probe back in the tube and close.


Preservative

Back to the stool in the larger container. Pour the preservative into the container covering the stool completely. Put the top back on making sure it is locked and secure.  Finally it is ready to go! Pack it back into the bag that is attached to the inside of the box and seal. Be sure to follow all the directions that came with your kit. They include very detailed instructions on how to fill out the shipping label as well. If you follow those, you will have not have to do this again. I figure if you mess up your kit in any way or it gets lost in shipping they will send you another one.


Ready to Ship Back!
Cologuard did not pay me or contact me to write this post. I just find it interesting that so many people automatically get the invasive colonoscopy recommended by most doctors. I didn't even know this test existed. So I felt like letting others know that there are other types of testing and this is also approved by the great FDA if that is a concern of yours.





Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: