Monday, March 07, 2011

Made It Home Last Night!



Last night coming home from my father-in-law's house we had to drive through what I would call a blizzard. It was scary to say the least. We stopped at the Weis market that had bought out Giant last year. The store was really nice. I didn't shop at the Giant but think I will be stopping at Weis in the future. The Giant didn't have certain brands that I like so I stopped going there. Now Weis seemed to have everything I use. Plus they had some good prices.



The roads were pretty bad. Route 12 is a route that we take from Binghamton, through Greene and then turn off to get home. Route 12 is known for being a bad road. Lots of accidents on it. Plus the cars usually get lined up with someone trying to squeeze ahead, if there is any place to pass without someone coming the other way. Luckily, my husband was driving and he is an excellent driver. He used to take me out on the Pennsylvania roads when it was a snow day and nobody could get to work or school. We haven't done that in awhile. When we were doing that was when we were searching for our property. Anyway, he drove right along and we had no traffic tailgating us. That is what drives me crazy when the roads are bad. The tailgaters!



Anyway, we made it home and I made us burgers and salad. The snow kept coming down! The wind kept blowing! It was a cold night, but warm enough for snow. One thing about going any place together in the winter is that then we have to bank our stoves back. That means the house gets cold. Even though there is still a fire in the wood stove, it is not heating the house. It is just holding the fire. So then you get home to a very cold house. It takes some time to open the stoves up, if they need more wood add it. Then wait for the  fire to heat the house and all your things. I hate when the furniture is cold to touch. If one of us stays home though, the house will stay warm and toasty.



Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole

4 comments:

Crown of Beauty said...

Katlupe,
I don't get to visit your blog as often as I want to, but whenever I do, I stay a while, scrolling down to also read your previous posts.

This one is another beautiful post - just the way you share your daily events, driving down a snowy road, and heating up the cold house...

Of course, living in Asia, I never really have to deal with snow or a cold house. But I love reading about your experiences.

It makes me think, I wish that there would also be seasons in heaven. Here in the Philippines, we only have two main seasons, the rainy and the dry, and the in between misty mornings cool nights and comfortably warm day months from late November to early March. I would like very much to see what winter, autumn, and spring looks like in heaven.

I enjoy my visits to your blog each time.

Be blessed today, Katlupe.

Love
Lidj

Annie said...

I'm glad to hear that you had a safe trip, winter driving always makes me nervous.

Sunny said...

As with every good thing, there are always some drawbacks. Wood heat keeps you so much warmer than central heat does.

Paula & Skip said...

Glad to made it home. I am often concerned about your snowy trips.
I had a walking trip last week which I wasnt keen on either.
Thanks for always being so kind and caring to me.
Paula